Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
robinclarke

LOOKING for: zucchini recipes?

Robin Clarke
23 years ago

What can I do with all this zucchini? I've already made bread, quiche, and had it fried. Now what?

Comments (24)

• Robin Clarke
    Original Author
    23 years ago

OOPS - TYPO IN MY EMAIL ADDRESS! That's crocusclub@webtv.net

• Scott--IL
    23 years ago

I will post my Vegetable Lasagna recipe later. It uses zucchini.

Yummy!

• JulieTX
    23 years ago

I love zucchini marinated in vinegarette, and grilled. I could eat it every night!

• Tasha
    23 years ago

What is vinegarette? Is that something you make or buy in a bottle? Tasha

• Jennifer
    23 years ago

I marinade my zucchini in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, garlic, salt, pepper, and a little sugar - or you can use a bottle of pre-packaged vinaigrette salad dressing - and throw it on the grill. The oil makes the coals fire up (at least on a charcoal grill) so the zucchini ends up slightly blackened, tender, and delicious. Oh yeah, I almost forgot... I slice the zucchini lengthwise into about 1/4- to 1/2-inch-thick slices so it cooks fast.

Julie's absolutely right - it's good enough to eat every night, even at the end of a long zucchini season!

• Heather
    23 years ago

I was given a couple of zucchini last week and went searching for recipes. Found some at www.ehow.com - a soup, frittata and stuffed zucchini. Have not tried them yet, but they sound good. Good luck.

• Colleen
    23 years ago

cookinglight.com had some good ones

• sherry
    23 years ago

Pick Zucchini early in morning.
    Wash and sort for size.
    Dry with paper towel
    Place in brown paper bag.
    Wait until night fall; perferable with no moon.
    sneak over to around the corner neighbor (or drive across town)
    Leave bag with zucchini on front porch.
    Ring bell
    Run back to car and drive away.

You can vary this receipe by leaving a cute (unsigned ) card with this receipe.
    :)

• JoAnn-N.FL
    23 years ago

This Zucchini Pizza is very good!
    Zucchini Pizza:
    3 1/2 c. zucchini, shredded
    1 tsp. salt 3 eggs
    1/4 c. flour
    12 oz. mozzarella, shredded
    1 tsp. Italian herbs
    1/12 lb. mushrooms, sliced
    3 tab. butter
    1 14 oz can pizza sauce
    1/2 c. olives, sliced
    1 c. green peppers, chopped
    In medium bowl, mix zucchini with salt, let stand 15 minutes. Drain and squeeze out as much liquid as possible. Combine zucchini, eggs, flour, 1/2 c. cheese and herbs. Spread in a greased 13x9x2 inch baking dish. Bake 350' for 15-10 minutes, or until slightly brown. Saute mushrooms in butter. Set aside. Spread all the sauce on zucchini, then cheese, then all the vegetables. Bake uncovered 350' until bubbly. About 20 minutes. (Add any vegeatbles you like)

• carolb FL
    23 years ago

I like zuchinni simply roasted in the oven.I always plan on using the roasted leftovers for something, but end up eating 'em all right away - it's so yummy.If you do end up w/ leftovers, they're great in omelets, fritattas, & pasta or rice dishes.

All I do is oil an enamelled* shallow roasting pan,arrange sliced zuchinni (3/8" thick or so) in a single layer, sprinkle lightly w/ salt or seasoned salt & roast for 20-25 minutes @ 425F, near the top of the oven.That's it - nothing could be simpler. I do this w/ lots of veggies, esp. potatoes & green beans (gr. beans take only 15 minutes, so I add them after 10-12 minutes.)

* An enamelled pan will brown foods on the bottom, so you don't have to turn them. That's why I position the pan near the top of the oven.

• Chaosmonaut
    23 years ago

Tasha,

A vinaigrette (there's a dictionary about two yards from me, but I don't feel like double-checking the spelling) is a dressing made with oil and vinegar, and usually some other seasonings (salt, pepper, fresh herbs, mustard seeds, mustard, honey, whatever).

• Chaosmonaut
    23 years ago

Usually it's about two parts oil to one part vinegar. At any rate, you usually use more oil than vinegar; it's not 50/50.

• Emerily
    23 years ago

ZUCCHINI CHIPS

Thinly slice young zucchini (large ones have large, harder seeds)
    Sprinkle lightly with salt or any spice you like..garlic
    powder or salt, basil, Mrs. Dash...
    Bake in a single layer on a non-stick cookie sheet at 425 for 5-10 mins. Turn over, sprinkle with parmesan cheese.
    Bake another 5-10 minutes.

You'll know just how thin to slice them by how "chippy" they get in the time specified.

• Bridget
    23 years ago

You can enhance any tomato pasta sauce by cooking grated zucchini with garlic and onions and then adding the sauce - either canned or homemade- I tastes really rich. I freeze grated and briefly sauteed zucchini for winter soups and pasta sauce. Try it!

• JulieTX
    23 years ago

Anyone with extra zucchini can send it my way! Too much zucchini is an oxymoron in my book!

• Carole
    23 years ago

Zucchini Moussaka

1 16oz can tomatoes
    1/2 cup onion, chopped
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    3 Tbs. tomato paste
    1 tsp. cinnamon
    1 tsp. oregano
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1 to 2 medium size zucchini
    2 Tbs. cornstarch
    3/4 cup parmesan, grated
    1 egg
    2/3 cup sour cream or plain yogurt
    2 Tbs. flour

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In medium saucepan over med. heat, cook toms, onion, garlic, paste, cinnamon, oregano and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes. Cut zucchini into 1/8" rounds.
    In plastic bag or bowl, place the cornstarch (you may need more) and either add the zucchini to the bag and shake it, or dip the zucchini in the bowl to cover with the cornstarch.

In baking dish, layer a small amount of sauce, some zucchini, and parmesan. Continue in that order until the zucchini is used up, ending with a layer of parmesan. In a small bowl, beat egg, blend in sour cream or yogurt, flour and whatever parmesan is remaining or 1/8 cup. Spoon over casserole and bake for 30 minutes or until tender and top golden. If you'd like the top a little more golden when casserole is done, broil for a minute or two.

Serve with a fresh green salad and french bread.
    ------------

1. I also like to simply stir fry a sliced zucchini or two with some onions and tomatoes for a quick light supper.
      ----------------------------------------
      2. Steam sliced zucchini, onions and green or red pepper and make an omelette to put the ingredients in. Top with chopped tomatoes and cheese if desired. Quick and delicious.
      ----------------------------

3. Layer any amounts of sliced zucchini, tomatoes and onion in a greased casserole, cover and bake at 375 degrees until tender (20 minutes or so). Top with a small amount of your favorite cheese, serve with hot french bread.

• Stephanie
    23 years ago

Zucchini Cupcakes with Caramel Frosting
    Posted on the WFD Board

3 eggs
    1-1/3 c. sugar
    1/2 c. vegetable oil
    1/2 c. orange juice
    1 t. almond extract (I didn't have, so used rum extract)
    2-1/2 c. flour
    2 t. cinnamon
    1 t. baking powder
    1 t. baking soda
    1 t. salt
    1/2t. ground cloves
    1-1/2 c. shredded zucchini

Frosting:
    1 c. packed brown sugar
    1/2 c. butter
    1/4 c. milk
    1 t. vanilla
    1-1/2 to 2 c. powdered sugar

In mixing bowl, beat eggs, sugar, oil, orange juice and extract. Combine dry ingredients; add to the egg mixture and mix well. Fill greased or paper-lined muffin cups 2/3 full.Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes or until cupcakes test done.
    Cool 10 minutes, then remove to wire rack to cool completely.
    For frosting, combine brown sugar, butter and milk in a saucepan; bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stire for 2 minutes.Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Cool to lukewarm. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until frosting reaches desired consistency. Frost cupcakes.
    Yields 1-1/2 to 2 dozen cupcakes.

note: This is Kimmie's recipe; it made two dozen for me. Next time I would sift the powdered sugar into the saucepan to avoid little lumps of sugar in the frosting. Also, even though I used 2 cups of powdered sugar, the consistency was very thin. More than a glaze,but not as thick as, say, a chocolate frosting. Excellent taste, though, not a step to skip, as the caramel frosting really makes the recipe!

• psimom
    23 years ago

I have a recipe I use for zucchini...I think I made it up or it is a variation of something I saw. I put a skillet on medium to high heat and add lemon juice, when it starts to get hot, add chopped onion, sliced/cut/whatever shape zucchini, garlic, dill, ground black pepper stir well, when the zucchini are just hot enough to start to change to that sorta translucent stage, add frozen peas and cook till the peas are hot. Serve over pasta. I used to use olive oil and saute it all then add the lemon juice toward the end but I like it just as well without the oil...save those calories for a zucchini chocolate cake instead!

• Mo
    23 years ago

This is so simple: I pick a zucchini out of my garden, go to the other side of my yard and pick a lemon. Cut the zucchini however you prefer, I slice it in circles, spread it over the cutting board, squeeze the entire lemon over the slices, sprinkle garlic salt over that, and let them soak for about 10 minutes. Coat a pan with some cooking spray, drain the juice off the board and saute them up until they begin to get tender and browned! Eat them as a side dish, over rice, pasta, or (especially good) put them on a pizza with fresh tomatoes...yumm!!!

• PRO
    Lavoie Boho
    22 years ago

My new email addy is heybambi@webtv.net. These recipes look great! Zucchini chocolate cake?! Thanks all. PS: I am growin the climbing variety this year "Zuchetta Rampicante", which is supposedly resistant to the dreaded vine borer. Here goes!

• Carole OR
    22 years ago

Zucchini chocolate cake is wonderful! Very moist. :-)

• Michael
    22 years ago

Zucchini in tegame
    Zucchini

This easy recipe really brings out the flavor of the zucchini.

Serves: 4
    Preparation time: 35 minutes
    Recommended wine:
    Origin: Unknown
    Ingredients:

2 lbs. fresh zucchini
    2 shallots sliced thin
    1 Tbsp chopped Italian parsley
    2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    salt to taste

Instructions:
    1. Sauté the shallots in the oil.
    2. Cut the zucchini lengthwise twice and then slice them crosswise to make small cubes.
    3. When the shallots have softened up add the zucchini.
    4. Cook at a medium heat, stirring frequently until they are done, about 15 to 20 minutes.
    5. About 5 minutes before they are done add the parsley.

Notes:
    Serve the zucchini hot as a side dish.

Here is a link that might be useful: Italian vegetarian

• Carolyn
    22 years ago

ZUCCHINI SLICE
    2 Medium sized Zucchinis
    2 Medium sized Carrots
    2 Sliced Tomatoes

1 Medium sized Onion
    90g Grated Cheese
    4 eggs
    1 cup of Self Raising Flour
    2.Place above ingreedients in a medium
    sized bowl with Cheese,Eggs and Flour. Mix well
    3.Once mixed place in a quiche dish lightly sprayed with cooking spray
    Cook at 180 degrees for 45 minutes or until cooked through when tested.
    serve it with a nice big Salad mixed

• Ann
    22 years ago

Unfortunately my book is in storage, but the "Enchanted Broccoli Forest" cookbook by Mollie Katzen has a delicious recipe for a calzone filling with diced zucchini, ricotta and mozarella cheese, garlic, and other herbs. It always gets rave reviews.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH