Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sha_lyn

LOOKING for: Vegan-soy free nut free kid friendly recipes

sha_lyn
21 years ago

I have a friend who's 2 children have allergies. The youngest is allergic to all meat , Dairy, eggs and nuts. The oldest is allergic to soy.

Anyone have some good kidfriendly recipes? Main dish, side dish, snacks or sweets etc

Comments (5)

• jasper_austin
    21 years ago

I don't know, does rice milk have soy? There are a lot of rice "ice cream" treats and rice "cheese" products if you can find the right grocery store.

They're gonna have to eat a lot of beans! And what kind of nuts are out? Peanuts? Or just the pecan/ walnut kind of nuts? both? My friends claims to be allergic to pecans and walnuts, but not peanuts. That would sure open things up if peanuts were okay.
    Potatoes have a lot of protein, but not the complete protein like milk. You can make potato chips slicing them thin, light spray of oil and baking, turning them over once, until crisp. Baked potatoes stuffed with sweet corn, or vegan chili,
    kids like k-bobs on tooth picks or skewers, which will make fruit and veggies more fun, grilled or not.

• anita9
    21 years ago

I don't have recipes but here are my ideas. I grew up nearly vegan, although we did eat cheese and goat milk occasionally.

Baked potatoes are a good idea, especially with chili.

Chili on veggie dogs, if she can find soy-free ones.

Sloppy joes made with TVP (textured vegetable protein).

Cheeseless homemade pizza, or with soy cheese, or calzones, are fun because they can pick out their own toppings.

Kids like perogies and other kinds of turnovers.

Spaghetti.

Pasta with pesto (just leave out the cheese).

Oven-baked potato wedges with ketchup.

Do they eat fish? Most kids like fish sticks.

Vegetable soups, minestrone, with fun noodle shapes.

Popcorn balls.

Fruit juice popsicles.

Nachos with refried beans, layered with chips, chopped bell peppers and tomatoes, olives, and avocado if they like it.

Fried egg rolls are easy and fun to make with a vegetarian filling. I always dipped them in ketchup (much to my mom's horror).

• Cate
    21 years ago

Watch out of TVP if there is a soy allergy. It is a soy product.

• texfinn
    20 years ago

I have found tons of great recipies on "vegweb". There are some really great dessert recipies that fit in your criteria. This is one recipie I use for all our birthday parties. Just adjust the time alittle for cup cakes.
    Chocolate Cake

1 1/2 c flour
    1/3 c cocoa powder
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1 c sugar
    1/2 c vegetable oil
    1 c cold water (or ice coffee)
    2 tsp vanilla extract
    2 tsp vinegar
    Directions:

Preheat oven 375. Use small brownie size pan (no greasing required). Mix all dry ingredients right in pan. Mix all wet ingredients in separate bowl EXCEPT VINEGAR (important!). Add wet ingredients to dry and stir until all dry ingredients are mixed. Add vinegar quickly and stir in--immediately put in oven and bake for 25 to 30 min.
    Chocolate Frosting

1 c sugar
    6 tbl corn starch
    4 tbl cocoa
    1/2 tsp salt
    2 tbl oil
    1 c water
    1/2 tsp vanilla
    Directions:

Mix sugar, cornstarch, salt, and cocoa in a medium sauce pan. Whisk in the water. Heat over medium until it gets thick and starts to boil. Boil for 1-2 minutes. (Make sure you don't boil too long, or it will set like taffy.) Remove from heat and stir in oil and vanilla. Cool and spread on cooled cake.

We do lots of pasta, pizza (we do soy cheese), fruit leathers (stretch island makes these, but they can be made in dehydrators), hummus (unless allergic to sessame).
    good luck

Here is a link that might be useful: vegan recipies

• carolynkishihara
    16 years ago

I know how your friend feels! My child is allergic to soy products, dairy, and meat products. You'll be surprised how so many products have soy in their ingredients... just read the labels! I cook a lot of homemade foods, I go to whole foods a lot! Their fries are just plain potatoes and sea salt.
    1. Tomato based sauces for: pastas, rice and bean dishes
    2. curry using coconut milk
    3. vegetarian meat "veggie meat" they are hard to find, but I found a couple of brands in the frozen section without soy or dairy in them ("garden burger- vegan style)
    4. I also make my own "veggie meat" using Do-pep (gluten only without soy)
    5. saute veggies with just plain olive oil and salt
    6. pasta and veggies with olive oil and salt
    7. spanish rice with tomatoes
    8. sandwiches with jelly and rice butter
    9. rice milk with cereal

1. chips/ salsa- find chips in whole foods that are soy free
    2. refried beans with chips
    3. potato dishes/casseroles with rice milk
    4. rice cheese (shredded or slices)
    5. noodles -chow mein, or rice noodles, just omit soy sauce when cooking and use veggie broth and salt
    6. baked potatoes with rice butter and rice cheese as toppings
    7. salads with croutons, just lemon, olive oil and salt