Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
popi_gw

RECIPE: No meat, no wheat, barely no sugar - ideas please!

popi_gw
17 years ago

In my family we have started a diet of no meat, no wheat, no sugar.

I have been putting a big effort into cooking meals according to those conditions, but I need more ideas. We have been eating a lot of fish, and vegetables, lentils, beans, eggs.

I would be grateful for any recipes ! Thanks guys.

Comments (7)

• Lydia Percell
    17 years ago

In searching my recipes, I had a hard time coming up with many that didn't have some type of wheat product in them. If you're open to tofu, here's a couple:

TOFU âÂÂCHICKENâÂÂ
    -- Cut tofu into ü inch slices.
    -- Mix marinade:
    1 ý C water
    ü C soy sauce
    3 T nutritional yeast
    1 tsp dried sage
    ý tsp dried rosemary
    ý tsp dried thyme
    ý tsp onion powder
    --Place in plastic container and shake daily for up to 2 weeks.

This can be pan-fried or used with any sauce you'd normally make with chicken and served over rice.

This next one, I usually serve with pasta so you might want to double the recipe if you don't serve pasta. Also, you'd have to find a substitute for the crumbs in this one or try it without:

TOFU PARMESAN (4 servings)

1 lb. firm tofu, drained + sliced thin to equal 12 slices
    1 ý C spaghetti sauce
    1/2 C seasoned bread crumb mixture
    1 ý C mozzarella

Seasoned crumb mixture:
    bread or cracker crumbs + onion powder, garlic powder, salt, pepper, nutritional yeast, parmesan

Place 2-3 T sauce in bottom of 8X8 pan.
    Layer 1 row tofu slices.
    Top with ý crumb mixture.
    Repeat.
    Top with sauce and mozzarella.

Bake 350ð 30-45 minutes.color>

• hald
    17 years ago

The Bengali dal recipe I just posted can be made without the sugar. I would go lighter on the cilantro without the sugar.
    -Hal

• postum
    17 years ago

Don't forget potatoes! I went on a cleansing diet similar to yours and got really hungry for starches - potatoes saved my life. I like them boiled (lower glycemic index than baked) with olive oil and garlic. Also yummy sauteed with onions and cauliflower or cabbage.

• jakkom
    17 years ago

I don't want to discourage you, but please be aware that many fish are so full of mercury and other toxins, they are NOT recommended for eating more than 1-2x per week. Particularly for children, you need to be careful. There's a useful website for checking which fish are safest to eat on a regular basis.

Sorry for this late posting, I just discovered this forum. Anyway, hope this helps you:

Here is a link that might be useful: Which Fish Are Worst

• lpinkmountain
    17 years ago

Lentil Millet Casserole

2 TBLSP butter (or more, can use olive oil or a mix)
    1/3 cup raw millet (I guess you could use rice)
    2 TBLSP dry lentils, cooked
    2/3 cups sliced mushrooms
    1 stalk celery, chopped
    1 carrot, thinly sliced
    1/4 tsp. onion salt (or add 1/2 small onion, diced, to the saute)
    1/8 tsp. rosemary
    1 tsp. dried parsley (or 1 TBLSP chopped fresh)
    dash marjoram

Saute the raw millet in the butter until each grain is lightly coated. Add 2/3 cup water or broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and summer until the millet is tender ` 30 min. Saute veggies, then add cooked lentils and millet. Turn into an oiled casserole. Top with extra mushroom slices if desired, and dabs of butter. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree oven for up to 30 minutes.

Makes 2 servings so double the recipe for a family of 4

Lisa's Rice-Stuffed Acorn Squash

1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
    1/4 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
    1/4 cup raisins
    1 - 1 1/2 cups cooked brown rice
    Olive oil for cooking mushrooms
    4 steamed acorn squash halves

Fill squash with stuffing and bake for about 30 min. at 350.

My optional additions
    1 stalk celery, thinly diced
    1 scallion
    Sunflower seeds instead of walnuts
    Healthy dashes of tamari

Kasha-Cheese Skillet
    1 lg. onion, chopped (1 cup)
    4 TBLSP butter (or use olive oil)
    1 egg, slightly beaten
    1 cup med. kasha (buckwheat groats)
    2 cups water or vegetable broth
    1 tsp. salt or to taste
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup frozen corn
    4 oz. cheddar cheese, shredded (1 cup)
    2 or 3 tomatoes cut into wedges, or top with diced sundried tomatoes, rehydrated.

Saute onion in butter or oil. Stir egg into kasha, add to onion, stirring constantly until each grain separates. Stir in water or broth (and optional salt) and bring to a boil. Lower heat, cover and cook 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in cottage cheese and corn. Sprinkle with cheddar. Broil until cheese melts. Garnish with tomatoes.

Note: I use a big saute pan that I can put in the oven. But if you can't start this dish in an ovenproof pan, transfer to an oiled baking dish after you add the cottage cheese and corn.

Elegant Lima Beans

4 cups cooked lima beans
    1 can (15 oz) tomato sauce
    4 oz. shredded swiss cheese, or use greek kasseri cheese if you can get it.
    1 cup coarsley chopped walnuts
    1/4 tsp. dried basil, crumbled
    1 green pepper, diced
    3/4 cup water or dry white wine
    1/2 tsp. salt (optional)
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    minced parsley for garnish

Combine limas, sauce ingredients (tomato sauce, spices, water, green peper). Simmer until thick. Stir in walnuts and cheese. Spoon into 8 cup baking dish. Top with parsley, bake for 30 min at 350 degrees.

• thesnowpea
    17 years ago

I don't have any recipes to offer per se at the moment, but wondered if you could have other grains, such as brown rice, millet, quinoa, barley, or triticale?

I like the Lundberg rice blends myself, made with combinations of brown, red, white and black, and wild rice (the latter NOT being a rice).

And there are rice noodles and vermicelli on the market that are great for stir-fries and soups.

I use lots of mushrooms in my cookery in lieu of meat. Recently I've made a mushrooms stroganoff (plenty of recipes out there to google) with some dill. You could serve it on sliced baby potatoes or large rice noodles.

Snowpea

Here is a link that might be useful: Lundberg Farm

• oshinn
    17 years ago

have you tried indian food? some people don't like it, but i love it. try tasty bite brand dinners... you heat them up in a pot of water and pour them over rice. they're really really good... and they have both vegetarian and vegan versions.
    unfortunately for me i eat a lot of cheese. it's why i couldn't be a vegan. :) steamed broccoli with cheese makes a good snack or side dish. and you can use the water for rice.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio