Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annie5il

LOOKING for: Your favorite veggie burger

annie5IL
21 years ago

My husband wants to start eating vegetarian. The only meat meal he claims he will miss is grilled hamburgers. I would like to find a really delicious veggie burger---either store bought or your own recipe. We just tried Amy's organic vegetable "Chicago" burgers, but found them to be disappointing---too much of a "cardboard"-like taste. What is your favorite?

Comments (10)

• plantladyco
    21 years ago

Walnut Burgers

2 lg eggs
    2/3 cup whole wheat bread crumbs(I just use WW bread torn into small pieces)
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1/2 cup chopped green onions
    1/2 cup toasted wheat germ
    1/2 cup small-curd cottage cheese
    2 tbs chopped parsley
    1 tsp basil
    1/2 tsp oregano
    1/2 tsp papriks
    garlic salt
    4 slices cheese (your preference)
    toasted buns or bread
    garnish(lettuce, tomato, red onion)

In a bowl,beat eggs. Stir in bread crumbs,walnuts,green onions,wheat germ,cottage cheese,parsley,and herbs. Season to taste with garlic salt.
    Broil on greased sheet until brown on both sides. Top with cheese and broil till melted.
    Serve on buns with condiments.
    Serves 4

• faversham
    21 years ago

I like the MorningStar farms regular veggie burger and especially their spicy black bean burgers. But neither tastes like a regular, non-veg burger. Try the Boca burgers. If I remember right, they are closer to the taste and texture of a hamburger. If those aren't available, look for a brand with more soy content instead of veggies.

Good luck!

• salena
    21 years ago

Grill him a portobello mushroom! They have the consistancy of meat and taste great basted with olive oil and salt and peppered.....and they fit on the bun!!! Provide the 'usual' trimmings.

• myenawine
    21 years ago

IMHO, Yves makes the BEST veggie burgers. Even meat-eaters I know have claimed that they're so close in texture and flavor that they have a difficult time telling them apart.

Not sure if you can find them in 'any' store, but here is a link to their website:

http://www.veggiedog.com/usa/products/index.html

• plantladyco
    21 years ago

Some of we veggies don't like the texture of meat!

• tnsongbird
    21 years ago

I like the Gardenburger Original burgers, you can find them in the frozen food section. I even slipped one in on my husband a year ago and he loved it :)

• sha_lyn
    21 years ago

I just came from another board where this came up. Bocca was the favorite of those who wanted a meaty texture.

Even as a meat eater I like veggie burgers. I do not want mine to be meat like however. I love the Amy organic california burgers, and the garder burger mushroom.

• yardkat
    21 years ago

Gardenburger is my favorite brand,
    But I agree with the poster who said to give him a grilled portobella mushroom. They're vegetarian steaks. I marinate mine in a raspberry chipotle sauce and they're really tasty!

• thankurnmo
    21 years ago

I am not a vegetarian but my daughter is, and she likes the garden burgers BECAUSE she does not like the taste and texture of meat. I have tried them all, and would say that portobello mushrooms are phenomenal. you could swear you are eating steak. For the frozen ones, I really like Boca burgers- they taste most beef like to me, and the morning star are pretty good as well.

• michele_in_ATL
    21 years ago

I second the original Gardenburgers, as far as store brands go. But for those of you who live in the South, you simply cannot beat a Houston's veggie Burger. Unbelievable.

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz