Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Next time you make white bean stew/soup

Posted by jkom51 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 3, 10 at 13:23

I prefer adding collard greens or kale to my white bean stews/soups. A few weeks ago I saw a variant on this idea adding diced butternut squash.

I thought this was intriguing and as I only had sweet potatoes on hand, I made my usual white bean/kale stew, using lots of veggies and vegetable broth.

I left the sweet potatoes in large dice (they shrink in cooking) and with a nice coating of EVOO, a bit of salt & pepper (not much), and a touch of maple syrup, roasted them for 30 min at 425 degrees.

Reheat the stew and add the cooked sweet potato at the last minute to heat up. This keeps it from getting so soft it just dissolves into mush. Serve with sliced bread, and a touch of pesto oil if you've got it, optional if you don't.

I always perk up my beans with a squeeze of Meyer lemon juice, since we have 3 trees so they're always on hand. A little acidity is always good for starchy foods, LOL.

This was a huge hit with my vegetarian friends last night!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Next time you make white bean stew/soup

It's also good with Swiss chard. I always use some white wine in my bean soup, too.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here