Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
californiadreamer_gw

RECIPE: Great Nut Burger Recipes Wanted

californiadreamer
15 years ago

Hi ~

There is a restaurant in Fair Oaks, CA called the Sunflower Drive In that has nut burgers that are to die for! I'm looking to start experimenting to find a recipe for one that equally as good or even better. I don't know what is in the one at the Sunflower, but if you have any recipes for this that you would recommend, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks so much!

Comments (4)

• shambo
    15 years ago

Have you tried writing to The Sacramento Bee? The weekly food section mailbox posts requests for restaurant recipes all the time, and usually someone responds with either an actual recipe from the restaurant or a pretty good copy cat version.

• californiadreamer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a GREAT IDEA!!!! Thanks, I'll do that!

• jan_uk
    15 years ago

Hi Guys,
    Just found this forum. The following is for a nut loaf but I often make them into muffins. Enjoy Jan.

Nut Roast

INGREDIENTS
    500 gms blitzed Hazel nuts (if these are not available you can use other nuts but not peanuts)
    100 gms raw cashews
    Wholemeal bread crumbs - same VOLUME as blitzed nuts crumbs
    2 Large onions
    2 Large peppers
    200 gms mushrooms  optional
    1 teaspoon mixed herbs (or equal amount of basil and marjoram  can use fresh)
    1 tin chopped tomatoes
    1 egg
    1 vegetable stock cube
    Seasoning

METHOD
    Mix all the dry ingredients (non machine)

Add the Cashews first splitting them into halves (I usually canÂt be bothered and just place them in a clean tea towel and tap them with a rolling pin)

Then mix in the following - mixing each in before the next ingredient

Sauté chopped onions and sliced peppers - add

If using mushrooms cut small  fry in margarine separately until shrunk and intense flavour add these with any oil remaining (donÂt use too much oil initially)

Drain little tomato juice and warm this up and dissolve the stock cube  add

Mix in remainder of tomatoes (well chopped)
    Add egg
    Add mixed herbs
    Season well with salt and pepper
    If this mixture is very dry open another tin of tomatoes and add a little at a time until the mixture is just wet  donÂt over wet!

Put the mixture into greased ceramic loaf tin and bake in a moderate oven 180 degrees. Place low down in the oven and for the first half of the cooking time cover with aluminium foil to stop top burning. Total cooking time approx 1 hour but check after 50 mins  when lightly pressed down it should give a little. If cooking in advance to requirement slightly under cook so that it can be reheated without it drying out too much.

Another option is to use a muffin tray but remember to heap in the mixture as the mix will not rise at all!

They freeze very well and are great for lunch boxes! I have a friend who now uses my recipe and sometimes adds some curry power for a change!

Enjoy Jan

• beginnerkelli
    14 years ago

i know this is a little late but here is a GREAT veggie burger recipe with nuts:

"Beet" this Veggie Burger
    makes 5 patties

*serve with carrot dogs

2 Tbsp olive oil
    1 Tbsp grated raw beet
    1/2 C cooked quick rolled oats*
    1 C uncooked oats
    1/2 C coarsely ground walnuts
    1/4 C coarsely ground almonds
    2 Tbsp sesame seeds
    1 Tbsp veg broth or water
    1/4 C green pepper, minced
    1/4 C celery (or fennel)
    1/4 C onion, minced
    1 tsp basil (dried or fresh)
    1/4 tsp sage
    1/4 tsp mustard powder, or mustard (spicy brown or dijon)
    2 Tbsp soy sauce
    1 Tbsp nutritional yeast flakes (optional)

* Bring 1/2 C water to a boil in small saucepan. Add 1/4 C oats and a dash of salt. Return to boil, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook 7 minutes.

Directions~
    Get the oats cooking while you chop the veggies. Throw everything into a big bowl and mix well. Form into patties. Heat olive oil in skillet over medium high. Cook patties until golden on each side.

I like to top these burgers with bbq sauce, avocado, and something crunchy, like onions, lettuce, or even sliced fennel. It's your burger...put whatever you want on it!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!