Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: vegan substitute for hard boiled eggs

Posted by
Jackie
(luckwaster2@aol.com) on
Sun, May 6, 01 at 20:49

What are your suggestions for a replacement for hard boiled eggs.

Specifically, the recipe is for empanadas which requires two chopped hard boiled eggs.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: vegan substitute for hard boiled eggs

This is a toughy, for me, anyway! My tendency is to just skip them. Are they a big part of the recipe? If so, what about using extra firm (not silken) tofu, maybe with a sprinkle of herbs like you use for fake egg salad (there are many recipes) or something like Fantastic's Tofu Scrambler (I use it to make too-lazy-to-pull-out-herbs fake egg salad). Or what about going another direction - like chopped mushrooms? I think those would be good in empanadas. Maybe some more creative minds will have some better ideas.

Good luck, and happy eating!

o

I often use the MoriNu extra firm silken tofu in salads. My husband thinks it's hard boiled egg whites. ;-) As far as replicating the egg yolks, I have been veg for 17 years and have not heard of anything to do this so I'd just use the tofu & not worry about the yolks.

o

Hi, why not use for the egg yolks yellow corn meal? I ate many eggs before I went vegan. The corn meal is not unlike the egg yolk when cooked long enough. I add margarine and salt to it, and pretend it`s "egg". You could fill the tofu with the cooked corn meal. If you add garlic chieves to the "yolk" it`s even better.

visit "goVegan" at: http://eccentrix.com/misc/noblix/index.html

Here is a link that might be useful: thornbush for life and selfhelp

o

Hi Jackie,

Try freezing the tofu for 48 hours and then thawing. Now take the thawed tofu and cut into whatever size/shape you want. Next, marinate it in a mixture of about 1 cup water, 1 tsp salt, and 1/4 tsp tumeric (exact amounts not important). You'll end up with a very nice yolk substitute.

Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here