Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Pinto Beans

Posted by
sandy
(ssandy@visto.com) on
Tue, May 22, 01 at 20:32

A very simple and overlooked dish is just plain beans. My favorites are Pintos, cooked in a crock pot is the way I do them. No pre soaking, just lots of water and let 'em cook 4-5 hours or all day.

Season with salt to taste and serve with french bread or steamed corn tortillas, salsa and a green salad. The earthy taste of pinto beans plain is out of this world. You can make chili with the leftovers but enjoy the plain taste of beans while they are fresh. We used to have "bean feeds" when I was a kid at the stable where I kept my horse and this is what they served. Its a cheap dish for big crowds too.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Pinto Beans

Yum, I agree, Sandy, the simple dishes are often the best! I love pinto beans... hadn't thought of having them with tortillas, I usually make cornbread, but I like your suggestions!

Tomorrow's a holiday, sounds like a good day to get some going....

o

The best flavoring I've found for pintos is a ham hock. gives it a real smokey taste.

o

Yeah, ham hocks make beans take great, but if you're a vegetarian - - oh well.

o

Sandy, can you please clarify "how much beans" and "how much water" in "what size crockpot?"

o

Every bag of pinto beans has a recipe for cooking. I pick the rocks out, dump in the crock pot and cover with about 2 to three inches of water and turn on high. They cook in about 4-5 house. Add water if if gets down to bean level.

Any other seasoning but salt (ham hocks, spices) detracts from the earthy pinto bean taste. Try them just plain and see how good they are.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here