Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Need good tasting wheatless bread & cookie recipes

Posted by ncredbird (My Page) on
Thu, May 14, 09 at 19:12

It has been discovered that our grandaughter is wheat intollerant and as a bread baker I would like to make some good bread for her that is wheatless. Any tried and true recipes that you might have or direct me to would be most appreciated. Also wheatless cookie recipes would be most appreciated so I have something to give her when the other grandchildren are snacking. Thanks, ncredbird

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Need good tasting wheatless bread & cookie recipes

I happened upon a blog by a Canadian Mennonite woman who is has celiac. She has several recipes posted there for gluten-free breads and other baked goods that sound pretty good. It looks like she uses white bean flour instead of wheat flour.

I'm not affiliated with this person in any way.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mennonite Girls Can Cook

o

THANK YOU for that link! I grew up in Mennonite areas of Ontario and miss the traditonal baking we would buy (or I would make from recipes passed along) because I am celiac now.

I make bread in my breadmaker, but there are several wonderful books on making breads for celiacs. You can get sourdough starter (gluten free variety) and make sourdough, and other types. My favorites come from: http://glutenfreegirl.blogspot.com/2007/01/i-am-stubborn-i-dont-give-up.html

o

Here is my favorite recipe for peanut butter cookies.....

~2 cups peanut butter
~2 cups sugar
~2 eggs
~1 teaspoon vanilla

~Preheat oven to 350. Grease cookie sheets.
~Beat peanut butter and sugar in bowl until fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla
~Roll dough into 1" balls and place 2" apart on cookie sheet. With tines of fork, press crosshatches to flatten.
~Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool on rack.

For this recipe, I've found that natural peanut butters (the kind you have to stir together) do not work well. I also like to vary it by adding different kinds of chips. Chocolate, peanut butter and white chocolate are all good. I also don't usually bother to flatten them with a fork and they still come out fine.

o

I'm wondering if anyone has tried these Peanut Butter Cookies? 2 cups sugar seems to be a bit much. I might add 1 - 1 1/2 cups. Too much sugar isn't good for you either. I'm learning the cancer feeds on sugar.

o

I love King Arthur Flour's recipes. They have a gluten free recipe section. It's usually the gluten that causes the wheat allergy. Try looking here.

Here is a link that might be useful: King Arthur Flour Gluten Free Recipes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here