Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Are your peppercorns laced with allspice?

Posted by mama_goose (My Page) on
Sat, May 22, 10 at 14:07

Hi, everyone, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but I need some information.

I've been using whole peppercorns for years--I buy black pepprc0rns, and a black, green, white, and pink mix, from a reputable health food store. I buy small plastic bags of the mix, and store in a glass jar to protect from humidity and 'varmints'. The last batch of mixed peppercorns that I purchased has allspice mixed in. I didn't notice this until I opened the glass jar where I store my peppercorns, and got a strong scent of allspice. I tasted the berries in question, and yes, they have a slight clove taste, just like allspice. Has anyone else encountered this?

I called the health food store, and at first they said it was probably pepper, until I told them about the taste test, when they offered my money back.

'Variety is the sp!ce of life' (har-har), but this is too much variety for me. I guess I can pick out the allspice berries, but I have a large amount of them already, and why should I pay for allspice, when I want pepper? And, I can mix them myself, if that's what I want to do. Will my peppercorns smell or taste of allspice, now that they've been stored together?

Thank you all for any info.

Here is a link that might be useful: Peppercorn mix

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Are your peppercorns laced with allspice?

I wouldn't be buying peppercorns from that store any more....order from Pensey....good spices!
Linda C

o

And I thought I was the only one with this problem! I purchased a tri-color peppercorn mix from the Christmas Tree Shop becuase I was there, it was cheap and I need some for the cabin. I ground some on my mashed potatoes. YUCK! The potatoes tasted like allspice. I tossed the potatoes and the remaining peppercorns. Never again....

o

Are they already bagged when you get them, or do you get them from open bins?
I have learned from experience to be very VERY careful when buying from open bins, no matter how reputable the store is.
I have no idea whether or not your Peppercorns will have the Allspice flavor or not, but since the store offered your money back, take them back.

Rusty

o

Thanks, everyone, for answering so quickly.

The store re-packages bulk spices under their own label. It's in a 'college town' about 1 1/2 hours drive from me, so I don't get there often. The first time I used their products was late 1970's, when someone gave me a jar of spices as a gift, so I felt confident buying from them. Maybe the allspice was a packaging mistake, and they did offer my money back, so I'll take the spices back next time I'm in town.

PS, that is some good allspice--I can still taste it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here