Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
myrealnameismama_goose

RECIPE: Are your peppercorns laced with allspice?

Hi, everyone, I'm not sure I'm in the right forum, but I need some information.

I've been using whole peppercorns for years--I buy black pepprc0rns, and a black, green, white, and pink mix, from a reputable health food store. I buy small plastic bags of the mix, and store in a glass jar to protect from humidity and 'varmints'. The last batch of mixed peppercorns that I purchased has allspice mixed in. I didn't notice this until I opened the glass jar where I store my peppercorns, and got a strong scent of allspice. I tasted the berries in question, and yes, they have a slight clove taste, just like allspice. Has anyone else encountered this?

I called the health food store, and at first they said it was probably pepper, until I told them about the taste test, when they offered my money back.

'Variety is the sp!ce of life' (har-har), but this is too much variety for me. I guess I can pick out the allspice berries, but I have a large amount of them already, and why should I pay for allspice, when I want pepper? And, I can mix them myself, if that's what I want to do. Will my peppercorns smell or taste of allspice, now that they've been stored together?

Thank you all for any info.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting