Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Ideas for using tempeh

Posted by icspotz (My Page) on
Tue, May 23, 06 at 11:45

Does anyone have any ideas about using tempeh? I already use teriyaki, Italian style prep(tomato sauce w/ mozzarella) and barbeque sauce with tofu so I'd like to try something a little different with the tempeh.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Ideas for using tempeh

Ingredients:
4 ounces tempeh, cubed
1 clove garlic, minced
2 cans (14 1/2-oz. size) diced tomatoes, no-salt added
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped onions
1 1/2 cup cooked rice
1 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese
Tabasco sauce, optional
4 green, red, or yellow, bell peppers, tops removed and seeded
1/4 cup shredded fat-free cheddar cheese

Directions:

Steam tempeh 10 minutes in saucepan. Mash in bowl with garlic, half the tomatoes, and soy sauce.

Stir in onions, rice, 1 cup cheese, and Tabasco sauce. Stuff into peppers. Place peppers in slow cooker. Pour remaining half of tomatoes over peppers.

Cover. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, or High 3-4 hours. Top with 1/4 cup cheese in last 30 minutes.

NOTE: Ideal slow cooker size: 6-quart oval, so the peppers can each sit on the bottom of slow cooker.

Basic Nutritional Values: Calories 266 (Calories from Fat 26), Total Fat 3 gm (Saturated Fat 0.1 gm, Polyunsat Fat 1.5 gm, Monounsat Fat 0.6 gm, Cholesterol 4 mg), Sodium 510 mg,Total Carbohydrate 42 gm, Dietary Fiber 6 gm, Sugars 17 gm, Protein 21 gm

This recipe for Tempeh-Stuffed Peppers serves/makes 4

Recipe ID: 45568

o
RE: LOOKING for: Ideas for using tempeh

I like to grate my tempeh in a cheese grater, then heat up some sesame oil and sautee the tempeh kind of like ground meat, throwing in cooked rice and some veggies,and a splash of Bragg's liquid amino acids for a salty flavor. Meanwhile, I lay a bed of fresh spinach on a plate, top it with the hot tempeh/veg/rice mixture, and topt that with lots of alfalfa sprouts. I love this dish! I made it up. It is very heatlthy. I hope you like it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here