Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alicesrestaurant

RECIPE: slab of baked tofu sandwiches - surprisingly good

alicesRestaurant
18 years ago

This was so good, I wanted to share. I had heard from numerous vegetarians about baking slabs of tofu but just didn't sound that appetizing. But when I found a recipe for this on the www.eatingwell.com website, thought I'd try it.

Below is kind of an adaptation of what I found. Basically my point here is that if you cut the block of firm tofu into 8 slices, spread sauce (probably almost any sauce) on one side, then spread on the other side and place on baking sheet. I used parchment to keep from sticking.

These are great right out of the oven but also, they are good cold the next day. Make just a regular sandwich with lettuce and tomato or use pickles or whatever. So simple and a nice bit of protein. (I'm wondering if these will freeze, do ya think?)

Ingredients

2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

2 tablespoons reduced-sodium soy sauce

2 teaspoons barbeque sauce, or anything that is zesty, maybe picante sauce would be good to try or spaghetti sauce.

14 ounces water-packed extra-firm tofu, drained and rinsed

1. Preheat oven to 475°F. (450 if your oven is convection). Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. (I used parchment)

2. Combine mustard, soy sauce and barbeque sauce in a small bowl. Slice tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick pieces. Pat dry with a paper towel and place on the prepared baking sheet. Using a spoon, spread half the mustard mixture on one side of the tofu. Turn the slices over and spread the remaining mixture on the other side. (Alternative method which I used was to dry each slice with a paper towel, then dip the slice in the bowl, front and back and then lay on baking sheet.)

3. Bake the tofu for 20 minutes. (I cooked using convection mode at 450 degrees for 20 minutes)

Comments (12)

• alicesRestaurant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I will add a second note here so that this post will move off the top and also to add more info. I continue to make these slabs of tofu. I've simplified things because it seems to me simple barbeque sauce works fine kinda. I've also tried just soy sauce but that wasn't quite enough. I'm thinking I really haven't found the right thing to "marinate" these with. Maybe lemon juice...I'm still working on it.

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Did you try the recipe as it was printed in Eating Well? Because the original recipe with the chipotle/adobe chili sauce mixture was unbelievably delicious!!

I wouldn't change a thing!

• alicesRestaurant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

thanks breezyb - no I didn't try the original recipe because when I looked in the store for the canned chipotle peppers, couldn't find easily (granted my search time was limited). I will look further now with your good recommendation. Thanks!

• breezyb
    18 years ago

It really was very good - & if you like things spicy, do up the amount of chipotle sauce. I doubled it & it came out nice & smoky/spicy without being incendiary.

• alicesRestaurant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I finally made it the way the original recipe was written
    at eatingwell.com. I finally found the canned chipotle peppers. Not sure why but I had looked several times in the grocery store (on separate visits) in the section for the jar of red peppers. Not sure why I didn't look closer to the cans of tomato sauce but in any event, thanks to breezyb, I finally looked for them in the right spot, found them and tried this.

It was very good the way the recipe is written, I agree. But I also think the real reason it is so good is the chipotle/mayonaise mixture. MMMMM is that good. I'm going to use that again. I may never go back to using plain Hellman's mayonaise again.

--Alice

• breezyb
    18 years ago

Oh & the leftover chipotle/adobe stuff lasts for weeks in a jar in the fridge if you don't use it all in one sitting, or you can freeze it in a plastic container or portioned out in ice cube trays. But like you Alice, I use the stuff in EVERYTHING - it's addictive.

In fact, I'm making a Chipotle Mac & Cheese recipe tomorrow. It's not strictly vegetarian, as it asks for sausages, but it sounds good. My husband doesn't eat any red meat, so I'll be using Chicken Andouille sausages for this, as the store was out of my usual Turkey Chorizo.

• breezyb
    18 years ago

One more thing - if/when trying to find this at the grocery store, it'll either be with the tomato products or with the Mexican items. Our grocers here have it with the taco/salsa items.

• msazadi
    18 years ago

I don't like mayo so would you substitute yoghurt or sour cream?

• alicesRestaurant
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yes, I think sour cream or yoghurt to a lesser extent would work. I'm of the opinion that anything mixed with Adobo sauce is gonna be delicious. (very spicy though)

• lpinkmountain
    18 years ago

I make something similar to this, tofu baked with barbecue sauce, and then do something akin to the old "ham salad sandwich spread." After baking with the sauce and cooling, add some light mayo to give it a spreadable consistency, then add chopped green olives with pimentos, sweet pickle relish and/or capers, and if you like, chopped celery and scallions. Can add more barbecue sauce if it needs more flavor. Great on crackers with bean soup or stuffed in a pita.

• aktbet
    17 years ago

Hey, that link at eatwell.com doesn't work anymore. I tried searching the site for the recipe mentioned above but couldn't find it. Does anyone have the original recipe and could post it here?

Thanks so much. aktbet

• elphaba_gw
    17 years ago

Yes, the recipe is still on the site but has a different URL (see below).

Also, check out the other recipes in their vegetarian collection. They've got some very good lookin' recipes IMO.

Here is a link that might be useful: Tofu Lettuce Tomato (with chipotle sauce)