Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amber_gw

LOOKING for: Vegan dessert recipes

Amber
22 years ago

I'm looking for a few good vegan dessert recipes, preferably without sugar (but other sweeteners are ok) or egg replacer because I don't have easy access to that. I have checked many websites but am not having much luck! thanks

Comments (10)

• angel_despammed_com
    22 years ago

Amber, do you have a good library nearby? Ours is good about carrying a variety of books - one author in particular to look for is Joanne Stepaniak. Also, I'm including a website for vegan message boards, there's a recipe message board link there and also recipe archives so that might help.

I'm fond of mixed fresh fruit for dessert... if you want to make it fancier, "cream" some silken tofu and flavor it with something like maple syrup (or use your imagination) to use as a topping.

Are you looking for anything in particular (cookies? chocolate-type? "ice cream"?) I can check my cookbooks...

I like one for orange "buttermilk" sherbet, see if you like this:

2 1/4 c. lite silken tofu (firm), crumbled
    2/3 c. pure maple syrup
    1/3 c. frozen orange juice concentrate
    1 T. lemon juice
    1 T. oil
    1 T. vanilla
    1/4 t. salt

Place all in blender and blend until smooth.

Pour into freezer container, freeze 8-10 hours or longer.

An hour or two before serving, remove from freezer and allow to soften 20 minutes. Transfer to food processor and process to ice-cream consistancy. Return to freezer container, and freeze for 45-60 minutes.

Scoop and serve.

from "Vegan Vittles," J. Stepaniak

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegan Message Boards

• Stars2548_aol_com
    22 years ago

Thanks for the recipe and the websites, Angel. I will try to make that sherbet this week... it sounds good. I am also trying to find a good cookie recipe (maybe with chocolate) that also doesn't call for sugar or egg replacers. I did find some alternatives to egg replacers though. Two of them were mashed banana and applesauce (I don't remember the amounts at the moment). Have you tried those in any recipes before? thanks again!:)

• angel_despammed_com
    22 years ago

Amber, I have heard of the applesauce but haven't tried it. I live alone so I don't make sweets very often altho I love them :) just can't eat a whole batch of something. I think it works well but the texture of whatever you're baking is just denser. I have a whole wheat coconut cookie recipe I love that I need to experiment with...

I know there are some cookie recipes around. I can check my cookbooks this week and see what I have.

• Stars2548_aol_com
    22 years ago

Hi Angel. I made the sherbet earlier this week and it is very good! I also made some cookies that I found at www.vegetariantimes.com that were what I was looking for... without egg replacer or sugar!! They are also good and I will post the recipe later if you'd like it. If you have any more recipes for vegan desserts you enjoy I'd love to see them! thanks

• vegetarianguru_lifetips_com
    22 years ago

Here is a cookie recipe that might help you out.

Molasses Oatmeal Cookies

1/2 cup margarine
    1/2 cup brown sugar
    1 tsp molasses
    1 tsp boiling water
    1 tsp baking soda
    1 cup whole wheat flour
    1 cup oats
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    Melt the margarine, sugar, and molasses in saucepan. Add the boiling water and baking soda. Remove from heat and add remaining ingredients. Spoon from teaspoon onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 325F for 20 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and cool on wire rack.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarian-tips

• angel_despammed_com
    22 years ago

Amber, sorry to be so slow responding, I've been busy gardening and not spending much time on the computer! I'm gald you like the sherbet, I thought it was pretty tasty too. :-) I'd love to see the cookie recipes you found, and will see what else I can post for you soon.

Bon appetit! :)

• Stars2548_aol_com
    22 years ago

Angel, I too have been busy lately and haven't spent a lot of time of my computer. Here's the recipe for the cookies that I made. Enjoy! :)

Chocolate Drops
    Makes 3 dozenÂEgg- & Dairy-free

Ingredients
    1 cup walnuts (6 oz.)
    3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
    3/4 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
    2 tsp. baking powder
    3/4 tsp. ground cardamom
    1/2 tsp. salt
    1 cup pure maple syrup
    3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
    3/4 cup vegetable oil
    1/2 cup soy milk
    1 Tbs. vanilla extract
    2 tsp. ground flaxseeds
    1/2 cup dairy-free semisweet chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread walnuts on baking sheet and bake until lightly toasted, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from oven, cool slightly and chop coarsely; set aside. Lightly brush three baking sheets with oil or line with parchment paper; set aside.

In large bowl, mix both flours, baking powder, cardamom and salt; set aside. In food processor, combine maple syrup, cocoa, oil, soy milk, vanilla and flaxseeds and process until well blended.

Add maple mixture to flour mixture and stir until well blended. Stir in chocolate chips and chopped walnuts. Drop dough by level tablespoonfuls onto prepared baking sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart. Bake until set, about 15 minutes. Transfer cookies to wire racks to cool.

PER cookie: 124 CAL; 2 G PROT; 8 TOTAL FAT (1 SAT. FAT); 13 G CARB.; 0 CHOL; 35 MG SOD.; 1 FIBER

• angel_despammed_com
    22 years ago

Sounds good! especially the chocolate part... :-) and the roasted walnuts!

I tried this over the weekend and like it a lot. If you don't like coconut, (and I love it!), you could leave it out. Also next time I think I'll use raisins instead of dates (I just like raisins and coconut together) and add some nuts. The recipe called for 2 T unbleached cane sugar - if you're avoiding sugar because of the animal bones thing, unbleached (or beet) sugar would resolve that issue, or you can just omit it, like I did. The maple syrup is plenty of sweetness. Also, I can't really taste the lemon, so if you happen to be out, just use water. Can you tell I have no problems improvising? :-)

Judi's Lemon Date Squares

Mix dry ingredients:
    1 c. whole wheat pastry flour
    1 c. quick cooking (not instant) oats
    1/4 c. unsweetened, shredded coconut
    2 T. unbleached cane sugar
    1/4 t. salt

In another bowl mix:
    1/2 c. maple syrup
    1/4 c. canola oil
    3 T. lemon juice
    1 T. lemon zest
    1 t. vanilla extract

set aside: 1/2 c. chopped dates

Stir wet and dry ingredients together, add dates and mix again. Put into lightly greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 about 20 - 25 minutes. Slice and let cool

From Vegan Vittles by Joanne Stepaniak

• ctbenjamin_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

Vegsource is my fave for ANY kind of recipe.Awesome resource!Check out the recipe board there....

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegsource

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz