Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Boiling lemons for pickling

Posted by albert_135 (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 16, 11 at 16:45

I was watching an old Indian movie last night. A documentary. And one woman was boiling lemons (perhaps limes) to use the liquid to make pickles. I never did figure out what she was pickling but she ground onion seed, garlic and red peppers and made a paste using the juice of the boiled lemons or perhaps the water in which the lemons were boiled.

I am just curious. Have you ever heard of this procedure?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Boiling lemons for pickling

bump - sorry, wrong forum.

o
Is this what your talking about?

How to Make Preserved Lemons

"Note:
You can add spices to the lemons for preserving - cloves, coriander seeds, peppercorns, cinnamon stick, bay leaf."

A link that might be useful:

simplyrecipes.com/recipes/how_to_make_preserved_lemons/

o
RE: RECIPE: Boiling lemons for pickling

your recipe sounds like an indian style pickle ... Kind of like Kimchee. I am making batches of it as my lemon tree is full of ripe lemons.

Here is my recipe. It is spicy and it can be an acquired taste if you are not used to spicy foods. It is usually eaten in small quantities with plain yogurt which works wonderfully to cool the palate.

Ingredients:

Lemons - 20
Salt as required - about half a cup as it is the salt that acts as a preservative
Turmeric Powder - 1 teaspoon
Red chilli powder - 3/4th cup
fenugreek seeds - 5 teaspoons
Oil - 1 cup. I use raw sesame oil
Mustard seeds - 3 teaspoons
Asafoetida powder - 1 teaspoon

Method:

Cut the lemon into 8 parts and trasfer it to a large dry porcelin jar/glass jar. I use a pyrex with a lid. After cutting 4 lemons, add salt to coat the cut lemons.Repeat this process until all the lemons are cut. Mix in turmeric powder and keep the dish closed in the refigerator. Mix the lemons once everyday for one week to 10 days. If the salt is less the lemons will begin to spoil and decay or develop fungus. After this period the lemon will become soft.
Dry roast the fenugreek seeds and grind it. Mix red chilli powder and ground fenugreek to the salted lemon. Heat the oil till smoking and turn off the heat. Then, add the mustard seeds and asafoetida power and keep it aside until the oil comes to room temperature. Keep the lid on or use a splatter screen as the mustard seeds will pop as soon as it hits the hot oil. Turn off the heat and let cool. Gently mix the spiced oil to the lemon mixture. Once completely cool, pack in clean jar and keep it closed. This can be stored in room temperature or in the fridge. Be cautious not to get the pickle in contact with water. Use only clean dry spoon to scoop the pickle.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here