Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
carole_gw

LOOKING for: Quinoa salad

Carole
23 years ago

Does anyone have a favorite recipe that they use? I had a salad at a local health food store, a cold quinoa salad with garlic, parsley, cucumber and some other ingredients that I'm unsure of. It tasted very similar to a couscous salad that I make. I would like to make a quinoa salad at home but can't find anything quite like it in any of my cookbooks. I'd love to see some of the recipes for how you all use this grain.

Comments (10)

• angel_despammed_com
    23 years ago

This might be a start....

From the New McDougall Cookbook, Quinoa Salad, serves 8-10

Rinse 1 ½ c. quinoa, place in pot with 3 cups water. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, simmer about 15 minutes or until liquid is absorbed.

Combine in bowl, chopped: 1 green pepper, 1 red bell pepper, ¼ c. scallions, ¼ c. red onioin, ¼ c. herb of choice (dill, cilantro, or parsley). Add the cook quinoa, toss gently, add dressing of choice, cover and chill at least 2 hours.

Dressing suggestions:

Honey-Vinegar Dressing

Shake well in jar:
    ¼ c. balsamic vinegar
    ¼ c. rice vinegar
    2 ½ T. honey
    1 ½ T. Dijon mustard
    pepper to taste

Savory Salad Dressing

Shake well in jar:
    1 t. Dijon mustard
    ¼ c. red wine vinegar
    ¼ c. water
    ¼ c. soy sauce
    Tabasco to taste

• wheelerc_nomail_com
    23 years ago

Angel, thank you very much, this salad sounds very similar to the one I had. I can't wait to try it. :-)

• danzer1799_hotmail_com
    23 years ago

can i ask a dumb question?
    what's "quinoa"?
    is it a veggie or a pasta?
    i'm totally clueless here.

thanks. danzer.

• wheelerc_nomail_com
    23 years ago

Quinoa is a grain. It's fairly new to the American market but is very important in South American cuisine. It's been hailed as the 'super grain' because it has more protein than any other grain and is a complete protein because it contains all eight essential amino acids. It's compared to couscous in flavor and texture (almost bland, but picks up flavors easily). Quinoa is lighter and can be used as a substitute for rice, as a main dish, side dish, in soups, etc.

Hope this helps. :-)

• salena330_yahoo_com
    23 years ago

FYI: Quinoa is pronounced 'keen-wah'!!!
    Salena

• wheelerc_nomail_com
    23 years ago

I knew that. :-)

• JessyFeldm_speakeasy
    20 years ago

Two of my favorite recipes for quinoa - cook in broth, with sliced shiitakes and a handful of peas.

Cook in broth with brown rice.

Yum!

I don't find the flavor 'bland' - I describe it as grassy. If you want to impress your jewish friends - tell them it's kosher for passover!!!!

• teri2
    20 years ago

Hmmmm. I don't find the flavor bland either. But I'd describe it as nutty. Whichever - it is very tasty. Gotta say I'm not fond of the rinse regimen, tho. Guess I'm spoiled.

Teri

• ariel2006
    17 years ago

Thanks
    I've also been searching for information about quinoa and I've found a good compilation in:

http://quinoa.iuhu.com.ar/

It includes information about quinoa and some preparation instructions and recipes.
    Hope it helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Quinoa

• disneynut1977 ~ Melissa
    16 years ago

I've made a creamy quinoa dish if you don't mind dairy. Just boil the quinoa as usual and after mix in 4-6 ounces of lite cream cheese while it's still warm (it will melt into the quinoa), halfed cherry tom's (yellow or red), halfed black olives, whole roasted garlic cloves, saute onions with fresh rosemary needles and toss it all (with a little olive oil) together. For all the veggies, just put in the amount you like. I personally load it with the garlic and rosemary. Another good one would be asparagas.

Sponsored