Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grumpy_gw

LOOKING for: Freezable recipes! (New Vegetarian)

Grumpy
22 years ago

Due to issues during pregnancy I've become a vegetarian to manage the symptoms (no eggs or dairy.) Would like to continue after baby arrives and by that thought, would love to know what veggie foods would still be tasty if frozen ahead. So far I've got some chili, Veggie Jambalaya, and a Gumbo.

Dh and I are still experimenting with dishes and don't really have a big base to grow from so any help would be appreciated.

Take care

Grumpy!

Comments (5)

• wheelerc_nomail_com
    22 years ago

Any soups (lentil, split pea, veggie), lasagna, pasta, risotto, all freeze well. Those are also things that you can make ahead and have on hand for days when you simply don't feel like cooking. Make in large quantities and freeze in one or two serving sizes. If you feel you need specific recipes as opposed to ideas I'll try to come back and post a few.

Congratulations on your baby. :-)

• notmyemail_askme_com
    22 years ago

Carole, thanks for the ideas!! I've been looking for both - ideas mostly but recipes on the things I don't know how to make! Can you do a lasagna without any cheese??? (sorry I'm green here!)

The risotto, I'd never thought of - but do have a recipe for it!

Thanks!! And thanks for the congrats!!
    Grumpy!

• wheelerc_nomail_com
    22 years ago

I have never made lasagna without cheese, but I don't see why you couldn't make a pasta layered with sauce. If you don't want to or can't eat cheese maybe you could try one of those soy cheese products. I never have used them but they are supposed to be interchangable with regular cheese.

With your one risotto recipe you can come up with a zillion combos. I have two recipes that are standbys and I've gotten to the point where I simply add whatever veggies sound good that day. The formula for the rice is the most important thing.

Combos:

mushrooms
    onion
    asparagus or broccoli
    tomato
    shredded carrot
    ---------------
    tomato
    artichoke hearts
    peas
    onion
    ---------------
    broccoli
    onion
    ---------------

Shepherd's pie should also freeze well minus the potatoes that go on top. When ready to eat you can just whip up the mashed potatoes and add them before reheating in the oven.

Shepherd's Pie

3 small potatoes
    2 cloves garlic
    1/2 tsp. dried basil
    2 Tbs. margarine or butter
    1/4 tsp. salt
    2-4 Tbs. milk (more if needed)
    1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 cup)
    1 medium carrot, sliced (1/2 cup)
    1 Tbs. oil
    1 15oz can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
    1 14oz can chopped tomatoes, drained
    1 10oz pkg. frozen whole kernel corn or mixed veggies
    1 8oz can tomato sauce
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 tsp sugar
    1 cup shredded cheddar (opt)

Peel and boil potatoes until soft. Mash, add margarine, basil, salt and gradually add in milk.

In medium saucepan cook onion and carrot in hot oil till onion is tender but not brown. Stir in kidney beans, tomatoes, frozen veggies, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, and sugar. Heat until bubbly.

Transfer mixture to an 8x8x2" square baking dish. Drop mashed potatoes in mounds over top. Sprinkle with cheddar if desired. Bake, uncovered in a 375 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or till heated through and cheese begins to brown.

Makes 4-6 servings

• notmyemail_askme_com
    22 years ago

Carole, thanks!!

I'm going to try the lasagna without any cheese - (love the stuff just can't take it right now *sigh* and don't know what will happen after the baby!) I may yet look into the soy cheese and see what happens with that.

As for the shephards pie, it looks yummy! - that one is definitely a keeper. And I'm with you on the Risotto - all depends on what's available and what we're in the mood for!

thank you! You've been a great help!

Take care
    Grumpy!

• gardener_sunflower_com
    22 years ago

Check out Japanese, Chinese, Thai, and Indian cuisines. All are heavy on veggies, don't typically use cheese, and often use tofu as a protein. (Well, the Indian doesn't use tofu, but all the rest is true.) Plus, you can explore the world without leaving home!

Sponsored