Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: what to do about my beloved cake?

Posted by
casey
(bobtacos@home.com) on
Mon, Mar 19, 01 at 21:51

i'm a vegetarian, trying to become a vegan. i love cake (especially for birthdays). are there any substitutes ? i also live with my parents (who aren't vegetarians or vegans),so it's tough enough. i'm just a child, why must i buy my own food? oh, how i wish they didn't eat meat!if you have any ideas on what they would like also, let me know. thanx so much.

casey

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: what to do about my beloved cake?

Do a search on this forum for "vegan applesauce cake"--it's a great recipie.

o

I have heard that some people use soy milk instead of milk (chocolate flavour in chocolate cake, etc.), silken tofu instead of eggs.

I do not know the conversion amounts. Milk probably ounce for ounce, and I would guess a couple of tablespoons of tofu per egg.

Margarine or soy margarine instead of butter, etc.

If you already have a recipe you like, you can start experimenting!

o
What is a Vegan?

I'm new to vegetarian cooking and this word "Vegan" keeps coming up , what does it mean?

o

you do not consume any animal products. ex. milk ,cheese , eggs , gelatin , etc.

o

Hi casey - try here...

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegsource

o

Gardener:

How does one do a search on this forum (for vegan applesauce cake)?

o

Scroll down to bottom of page to see the search feature.

Here's the original post....

(I use organic sugar & whole wheat pastry flour,expeller pressed oil.)

P.S.It's from The Farm Vegetarian Cookbook - one of the best all around vegan cookbooks from a wonderful place in Tennessee.It covers all the basics & calls for no animal products @ all.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegan Applesauce Cake

o

Jane--to do a search, go the top or bottom of this page and click on "Return to Veg Recipe Exchange Forum." On that page, scroll down to the bottom to the "search" box. Key in "applesauce cake" (or whaterver you are looking for) and "enter." You'll find what you are looking for.

o
RE: nothing like being redundant!

I guess I should read all the posts before adding one! Sorry, Carolb....I hope Jane took your good advice!

o

I am vegan and I eat cake all the time! Just find your favorite recipe and substitute soy or rice milk for milk, unrefined sugar for sugar (some vegans do not eat refined sugar because the refining process may involve animal bones), vegan margarine (Fleishman's unsalted works) for butter... eggs are a bit tricky because without them the cake may not rise properly. I use an egg replacer I buy from a health food store. I also add a little bit extra baking powder or soda and this helps. Being vegan doesn't mean missing out on your favorite meals, but sometimes you have to be creative with recipes and if at first you don't succeed, try again! I am not a kid now but I was a kid when I stopped eating meat and my Mom wasn't thrilled either so I know how it feels.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here