Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Does anyone know of an easy method to shell or hull

Posted by acey (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 02 at 17:06

I bought a small bag athe grocery store. They are white, and have been salted. Because they are so thin, it seems like an exercise in futility to shell them. I can eat them this way, but wanted to shell a few to sprinkle on a pasta recipe, where I don't think the whole seed would be appealing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Does anyone know of an easy method to shell or

Guess you all were as blank on this as I! I'm just nibbling them from the bag!

o

Acey, maybe you could tell us what they are? I am assuming from your description that they are white and salted that they are pumpkin seeds.

Ann.

o

Ann T:
Last week I made a recipe that called for smoked turkey and some canned pumpkin in a sauce over pasta. They said to sprinkle on seeded pumpkin seeds over the finished dish, if desired. Well, I thought, OK, and went to the regular grocery. (Now that I think about it, maybe a health food store would have offered a better seed.) Bought a bag of pumpkin seeds, but it was ridiculous to try to seed them. So I didn't sprinkle them on the recipe, ans am just eating them as the salty snack they are.

o

it seems to me that my mom used to put them in a big bowl and pour boiling water over them to pop them open; but don't quote me on that! i bet Martha Stewart has a handy tip for this one!

o

Well, now! That would make sense! Thanks!

o

I salt them and roast them until they pop, then use the whole seed (unpeeled) as garnish on soups and salads. They taste better and are crunchy instead of chewy, and they don't look unappetizing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here