Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: favorite recipes

Posted by rabbitmole (afehr@stritch.edu) on
Tue, Mar 5, 02 at 17:04

What is your ABSOLUTE favorite vegetarian recipe...have you ever fed it to a non-vegetarian who likes it just as much?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: favorite recipes

I cook whole oats or barley in chicken broth and serve it under re-fried , well seasoned, black beans, topping that off with a skillet of sauteed bell peppers, all colors, and onions! Meat is not missed as there is alot of chewing in this meal.

o

I'm not sure I have an absolute favorite, but this is close. And my entire family loves it. Hubby never misses the meat! (If you don't eat dairy, you can use whatever normal substitutions you make for the sour cream and cheese)

Mexican Pizza

Ingredients:

2 prepared 12-inch Pizza Crusts (I use's Boboli's)
16-oz. can Refried Beans
1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1 large Green Onion, thinly sliced
1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
1/2 cup sliced Ripe Olives, drained
4-oz. can diced Green Chilies
1 cup prepared Salsa
2 Tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
1/4 cup fresh Tomato, chopped
Lettuce, chopped
Salsa
Red onions, chopped
Cheddar cheese, grated
Sliced Jalapenos, optional garnish

Directions:

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the refried beans with the taco seasoning mix, sour cream, and green onion slices.

Spread half of the bean mixture over each pizza crust to within about an inch from the edge. Top with a half-cup of the cheddar cheese and a half-cup of the Monterey Jack cheese on each pizza. Sprinkle one-quarter cup of ripe olive slices and one-quarter cup of the green chilies on each pizza.

Bake as directed on the pizza crust manufacturer's package or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted.

Top each pizza with several tablespoons of the salsa, then add a sprinkling of cilantro, chopped tomatoes, chopped lettuce, salsa, chopped red onions, grated Cheddar cheese, and jalapenos, if desired. Slice to serve.

o

This isn't really a meal but at times it is for on the go.I love fresh tomato slices on toasted french bread with mozzarella and sliced basil or oregano.
Great melted in the toaster oven.
Heidi S~

o

GloryBee, love that combination, too, though I like a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it, too!

Lori

o

I have lots of favorites - and my non-vegetarian family loves tham just as much! My favorite is probably Mushroom Strudel, though it's time consuming. It melts in your mouth, though!!! My favorite dessert is Vegan Chocolate Cake, without tofu, and light and fluffy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cait's Vegetarian Page

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here