Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rabbitmole

LOOKING for: favorite recipes

rabbitmole
22 years ago

What is your ABSOLUTE favorite vegetarian recipe...have you ever fed it to a non-vegetarian who likes it just as much?

Comments (5)

• salena
    22 years ago

I cook whole oats or barley in chicken broth and serve it under re-fried , well seasoned, black beans, topping that off with a skillet of sauteed bell peppers, all colors, and onions! Meat is not missed as there is alot of chewing in this meal.

• techgoddess
    22 years ago

I'm not sure I have an absolute favorite, but this is close. And my entire family loves it. Hubby never misses the meat! (If you don't eat dairy, you can use whatever normal substitutions you make for the sour cream and cheese)

Mexican Pizza

Ingredients:

2 prepared 12-inch Pizza Crusts (I use's Boboli's)
    16-oz. can Refried Beans
    1 package Taco Seasoning Mix
    1/4 cup Sour Cream
    1 large Green Onion, thinly sliced
    1 cup Cheddar Cheese, grated
    1 cup Monterey Jack Cheese, shredded
    1/2 cup sliced Ripe Olives, drained
    4-oz. can diced Green Chilies
    1 cup prepared Salsa
    2 Tbs. fresh Cilantro, chopped
    1/4 cup fresh Tomato, chopped
    Lettuce, chopped
    Salsa
    Red onions, chopped
    Cheddar cheese, grated
    Sliced Jalapenos, optional garnish

Directions:

In a medium-sized mixing bowl, combine the refried beans with the taco seasoning mix, sour cream, and green onion slices.

Spread half of the bean mixture over each pizza crust to within about an inch from the edge. Top with a half-cup of the cheddar cheese and a half-cup of the Monterey Jack cheese on each pizza. Sprinkle one-quarter cup of ripe olive slices and one-quarter cup of the green chilies on each pizza.

Bake as directed on the pizza crust manufacturer's package or until the crust is crisp and the cheese is melted.

Top each pizza with several tablespoons of the salsa, then add a sprinkling of cilantro, chopped tomatoes, chopped lettuce, salsa, chopped red onions, grated Cheddar cheese, and jalapenos, if desired. Slice to serve.

• glorybee
    22 years ago

This isn't really a meal but at times it is for on the go.I love fresh tomato slices on toasted french bread with mozzarella and sliced basil or oregano.
    Great melted in the toaster oven.
    Heidi S~

• lorijean44
    22 years ago

GloryBee, love that combination, too, though I like a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar on it, too!

Lori

• caitzs
    21 years ago

I have lots of favorites - and my non-vegetarian family loves tham just as much! My favorite is probably Mushroom Strudel, though it's time consuming. It melts in your mouth, though!!! My favorite dessert is Vegan Chocolate Cake, without tofu, and light and fluffy!

Here is a link that might be useful: Cait's Vegetarian Page

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!