Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Melissa's Tangy 'Cream' of Potato Soup--vegan

Posted by bluedidi (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 22, 02 at 11:53

Hi, folks! I have been working on some veggie recipes over the last couple of years (that's when I began to write them down, anyway!)--with the hopes of someday publishing my own cookbook. i would be honored if a few of you who try what I post would critique them for me and give me some feedback!
All of my friends and family love what I cook; but I want to know what strangers think, too! All of my recipes are vegetarian; and those that may list dairy products are quite compatible with alternative ingredients--I prefer to use the alternatives myself.
Anyway; here's the first of the many I plan to post. I hope you enjoy it!

Melissa's Tangy "Cream" of Potato Soup

8 medium potatoes, scrubbed (not peeled); cut into 1" chunks
1 cup baby carrots, chopped
1 medium white onion, chopped
10-12 cloves of garlic, minced
2 cups plain soymilk
1/3 cup margarine
1/2 TBSP dill seed
1 TBSP balsamic vinegar
salt and pepper, to taste

1) In a large pot, boil the potatoes with 1 tsp of salt.
2) Add the chopped carrots after about 5 minutes.
3) In a small saucepan on the side, saute the garlic and
onions until they are soft and slightly browned. Remove
from heat, and set aside.
4) Once the potatoes begin to break down, drain the
majority of the water into the sink. Make sure to leave
at least enough liquid to cover the potatoes and carrots
(about 4 or 5 cups).
5) Add the garlic, onions, soy milk, margarine, and dill
seed. Using a hand-held whisk or potato masher, mash
everything together until the mixture has thickened. If
you prefer creamier vs. chunkier, you can use an electric
mixer.
6) Simmer concoction over low heat for 15-20 minutes. Stir
frequently to prevent scorching. Do not allow to boil.
7) Before serving, stir in balsamic vinegar. Add salt and
pepper, if desired.

This makes a lot of soup! If you have a small family, it will be enough for two meals. I know that 10-12 cloves of garlic sounds insane to some; but I promise, it really adds to the "tang!" If you prefer a little less garlic, feel free to reduce the amount when preparing.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Melissa's Tangy 'Cream' of Potato Soup--vegan

ooops! I forgot to include the cooking spray or olive oil for the onions and garlic. Forgive me, I am pregnant, and inclined to absent-mindedness these days.

I saute the onions and garlic in 1/2 TBSP of olive oil; but if your prefer a cooking spray for lower fat, it works just as well. I've tried it both ways; and have found that when I use oil it is cleaner. With the spray I often have to re-spray halfway through the process. And by that time my kitchen has begun to fill with smoke! It would probably be fine on a lower cooking temperature; but I am an impatient saute-er. What can I say?
Forgive my omission!

Melissa

o

Just found this site. Looked at your soup & thought, that's a winner. Tried it. IT IS a winner. Have been working on a cookbook myself & I know how much work is involved. Good luck on yours. Oma (means grandmother in german & all my grandchildren call me that)

o

my husband is a slight vegetarian and he likes to try different recipes for me to cook he found your recipe and he loves it. i would suggest to just puree half of the soup and mixed it with the rest of the soup it makes it a little creamier and chuckier. i did it that way because husband likes it that way. and maybe ill also try pelled potatoes. thank you for the potato soup AND good luck and hope to see more recipes in here

o

sounds good I will try it out on my vegan grand daughter

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here