Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_gw

LOOKING for: What is your favorite all-time vegetarian recipe?

marlene
23 years ago

I am a new vegetarian here. Due to my son becoming one first. Can anyone share their favorite recipe that I may try. Thanks very much. Marlene

Comments (5)

• for2cats_worldnet_att_net
    23 years ago

I just love Tofu Scramble:

1 lb firm tofu (drained and cubed in large chunks)
    mushrooms (as many as you like -- quarter them)
    onion
    fresh spinach (as much as you like -- but it cooks down)
    tomato (chopped in big chunks)
    spices and herbs -- (dill, garlic, season salt, pepper, etc. -- whatever you want!)
    olive oil

Put some olive oil in a non-stick skillet. Fry the onions and mushrooms until soft (start using those spices and herbs now!) Add your tomatoe and tofu to start warming them -- then shortly after that add your spinach. Place lid on skillet, but stir every couple of minutes until the spinach is wilted as much as you desire). Serve hot. This is really good with fried potatoes and good bread! Great for breakfast or dinner! And the Tofu Scramble warms nicely in the microwave the next day at work.

• angel_despammed_com
    23 years ago

Hi Marlene, I thought you'd be swamped with recipes by now!

There's no end to my favorite recipes. A few simple ideas: I love pasta with fresh veggies - the veggies can be steamed or roasted or grilled or cooked into a sauce. For example:
    1. fresh cherry tomatoes, garlic, basil - half or quarter tomatoes and heat all in a non-stick skillet just long enough to heat. Toss with pasta. (Has to be garden tomatoes, tho, store tomatoes just aren't the same!!).
    2. grill veggies of choice and toss with pasta. I love grilled red peppers, onions, eggplant, summer squash. Add herbs like basil or rosemary... yum!
    3. Another one that needs garden tomatoes: cook tomatoes and green beans - onion if you like - basil - garlic - cook this all well (I know, I know, veggies are healthier crispy, but this is sooo good!) for 20-30 minutes. Serve over pasta or rice.

I have a recipe for lentils and eggplant, kind of a BBQ flavor, that I love. Let me know if you're interested and I'll send it to you. There's lots you can do with lentils (and beans) too - lentil burgers are great - I like black bean salad with celery and red onion and a lime dressing - or a lentil and potato salad, hot, with a vinegar dressing...

The simpler, the better, and in my opinion, the freshest best veggies make a world of difference.

I do stir-fry with or without tofu. Tofu is fun and you can do tons with it.

Check out your library - should be some great books there - and do a search on the internet. Here's one link (below) to get you started that has more links attached to it.

If you aren't vegan, (or even if you are - just ignore the dairy recipes) look at Nikki and David Goldbeck's cookbook, I think it's called American Wholefoods Cuisine. Chock full of great stuff! as are many other books.

How old is your son? Does he have strong preferences or is he willing to experiment? Those things can make a huge difference in what he's willing to try. Good for him for making this decision, and good for you for supporting him!!

Cooking is so much fun... glad you're doing this together!

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vegan Chef

• achronic_earthlink_net
    23 years ago

If you eat cheese, you will love Fettucini with spinach Pesto. I actually got this recipe off the back of a package of Sargento Shredded Parmesan. The best thing about it is it's quick and colorful, which makes it great for company. I almost always serve this when I have dinner guests along with fresh bread and salad. It's a hit!

Fettuccini with Spinach Pesto
    Serves: 4

12 ounce fettuccini
    2/3 cup olive oil
    1 ¼ cup shredded Parmesan cheese (1 Sargento pkg.)
    ½ cup walnut pieces
    1 large clove garlic, coarsely chopped
    ½ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon pepper
    1 10-ounce pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
    1 7-ounce jar roasted red peppers, drained and cut into strips

Cook pasta according to package directions.
    Meanwhile, place oil, cheese, walnuts, garlic, salt and pepper in blender or food processor. Cover and process until nuts are finely chopped.
    Add spinach; process until spinach is finely chopped.
    Toss hot pasta with spinach mixture and peppers. Serve with additional cheese if desired.

• ctbenjamin_hotmail_com
    23 years ago

try this site - it's my fave....

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegsource

• extant_coslink_net
    22 years ago

My favorite combo is a home made version of Rice a Roni with tofu. I use the soft tofu finely chopped which I simmer about five minutes in broth, and add to the rice mixture Otherwise I pretty much use the Rice A Roni type instructions (that's where I started before switching to home made) Any flavor works.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz