Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

RECIPE: Great 'new' recipes to share?

lpinkmountain
15 years ago

What new recipes are you cooking that have turned out well?

Here's my latest:

Skillet Gnocchi with Chard & White Beans

From EatingWell Magazine January/February 2009

Makes 6 servings

1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil, divided

1 16-ounce package shelf-stable gnocchi (see Tip)

1 medium yellow onion, thinly sliced

4 cloves garlic, minced

1/2 cup water

6 cups chopped chard leaves (about 1 small bunch) or spinach

1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings

1 15-ounce can white beans, rinsed

1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese

1/4 cup finely shredded Parmesan cheese

1. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add gnocchi and cook, stirring often, until plumped and starting to brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.

2. Add the remaining 1 teaspoon oil and onion to the pan and cook, stirring, over medium heat, for 2 minutes. Stir in garlic and water. Cover and cook until the onion is soft, 4 to 6 minutes. Add chard (or spinach) and cook, stirring, until starting to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, beans and pepper and bring to a simmer. Stir in the gnocchi and sprinkle with mozzarella and Parmesan. Cover and cook until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling, about 3 minutes.

Notes: I didn't set the gnocchi aside, I sauteed it in olive oil along with the onions, then mixed in all the other ingredients. That made it a one pot meal, which is what I like! I finished this off in the oven for 15 min. to melt the cheese.

TIP: Tip: Look for shelf-stable gnocchi near other pasta in the Italian section of most supermarkets.

Also Thai Curry paste, from Moosewood Lowfat Favorites Cookbook. Good alternative to thai fish paste.

1/4 cup chopped scallions

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, basil or Thai basil (I used way more cilantro than that, probably about a cup, plus a dash of dried basil)

2 TBLSP minced garlic cloves

2 TBLSP grated fresh ginger root

1 TBLSP freshly grated lemon or lime peel or minced tender inner stalk of fresh lemongrass

1 TBLSP brown sugar

1-2 fresh red or green chilis, minced (I didn't have these so I used 1/2 tsp chili pepper flakes)

3 TBLSP fresh lemon or lime juice

1 TBLSP ground coriander

1 tsp. tumeric

1/3 tsp. salt

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and puree until quite smooth. Will keep a week in the fridge and can be frozen for extended storage (which is what I did with most of it)

Great way to use up cilantro languishing in the fridge. Cilantro doesn't hold its taste very well in the freezer, but with added basil, coriander and other spices, this paste is still flavorful.

Comment (1)

• elphaba_gw
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks SOOOO much for that curry paste recipe. Looks wonderful.

Aji Sauce - (pronounced - ah hee')

I first heard about this recipe from Daisy Martinez. I'll give her recipe first which I find most useful because the particular combination of ingredients is one that will keep well in the fridge for several days, kind of like fresh salsa.

The second recipe I'll post here has things like cilantro which I find wonderful but it doesn't last long, hence you need to use this sauce quickly but you can tell the two are very similar.

My use for this recipe is for nearly everthing. That is what Daisy said when she provided the recipe and I totally agree. It is great with eggs, yogurt, and as seasoning for nearly any kind of saute especially beans or lentils. I plan to marinate some tofu with this eventually but haven't got around to it. Hope you enjoy it as much as I do. I think one of the things it provides besides good taste is a way to have the chopping done of veggies that you are going to use probably anyway (if you cook like me) so it saves some time doing it all at once when you make the sauce. I also think it is better after it sits in the fridge for 24 hours.
    (Food processor is not an absolute requirement but I find it very useful here)
    --------------------

(I may not have this exactly the same, I took notes and I have changed this recipe to accomodate a pint jar - she used a quart jar)
    4 cloves garlic
    1 large jalapeno with ribs and seeds (sometimes two if you like more heat)
    1 large (but not huge) red onion
    2 - 3 teaspoons kosher salt (or so to taste)
    fresh ground black pepper (not so much since you have the Jalapeno)

mince garlic and jalapeno in food processor (I like to add salt at this point to make sure garlic gets salt - helps flavor IMO)
    rough chop red onion and add to food processor
    process all in food processor until minced
    add mixture to 1 pint jar and fill to top with lime juice

Let it chill in fridge - seems to be better after it is chilled

---------------------------------------------------------------

Aji Sauce Bon Appit : July 2009

by Steven Raichlen

Yield: Makes abaout 3/4 cup
    ingredients
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped seeded jalapeño chiles (about 4 large)
    1/2 cup coarsely chopped green onions (about 2 large)
    1/3 cup coarsely chopped sweet onion (such as Maui or Vidalia)
    1/4 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons (or more) red wine vinegar or fresh lime juice

3/4 teaspoon coarse kosher salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    preparation

Combine jalapeño chiles, green onions, sweet onion, and cilantro in processor; puree until paste forms, scraping down sides of bowl with rubber spatula several times. Add 2 tablespoons vinegar and process until mixture is blended but some texture still remains. Transfer to small bowl. Stir in 3/4 teaspoon coarse salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and more vinegar to taste, if desired. DO AHEAD: Can be made 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.