Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jane_gw

RECIPE: How do you cook brown rice?

Jane
23 years ago

Please tell me how to cook brown rice. I used to cook it in the microwave, but lost my instructions. Is it better cooked in a steamer? If so, what kind is best. Thanks.

Comments (15)

• angel_despammed_com
    23 years ago

I cook it in a pot on the stove; I don't use the quick-cooking type (I think it tastes like cardboard) :) so this may or may not help you. I used a steamer for white rice but it was programmed to turn off after 30 minutes so it didn't cook long enough for brown. The pot method is (to me) easy - put it on and once it's going, you can forget it and do other things.

Use twice as much water as rice - put water in pot and bring to boil - add rice - return to boil then lower heat to barely simmering. Do not stir during cooking unless you like it sticky. Simmer 45-60 minutes or until all water is absorbed. I like to let it sit another 10 minutes off the heat after it's done to let it "fluff" a little more.

I usually make enough for 2-3 meals at a time - then reheat it quickly in the microwave or use other ways.

Hope this is some help!

• daisyherbs_powr_net
    23 years ago

Just like Angel said, except DON'T lift the lid for ANYTHING. That's for white or brown rice.

• 2illusive_excite_com
    23 years ago

Thanks Angel and Daisy.

• ctbenjamin_hotmail_com
    23 years ago

I do the same as above,EXCEPT I put rice & water in the pot @ the same time.Always works fine for me....

• emmo_b_netscape_net
    23 years ago

I cook brown rice in the microwave. In a covered microwave plastic container, what every amount of rice you use double the amount of water, for example, I use 1 cup Comet brown rice, and 2 cups water. I microwave for 30 minutes, watching the rice carefully due to the uncertainty of power.
    It turns out perfectly, not to soft and not to hard.

• wheelerc_nomail_com
    23 years ago

I cook all my rice, brown, white and wild in a rice cooker. I do add about 1/2 cup more water than what the recipes call for, but the rice comes out perfect every time. :-)

• 2illusive_excite_com
    23 years ago

Thanks for all the advice.

• salena330_yahoo_com
    22 years ago

I cook mine in no-fat chicken broth.
    Salena

• tremorviolet_hotmail_com
    22 years ago

It's super easy with a rice cooker. Just get the cheap kind (usually $15-20). All you do is add water and rice and turn it on. It automatically stops cooking when it's done and goes into warming mode. Perfect rice every time!

• ssandy_visto_com
    22 years ago

I learned to cook brown rice back in the late 60's. A friend told me about this method.

Take one cup of raw brown rice and place it in a heavy cast iron skillet. Turn heat to medium and dry cook the rice until it turns golden brown and starts to pop, you have to keep stirring it so it doesn't burn, takes about 5-10 minutes. Use higher heat if you want but watch it doesn't burn.

When it is golden brown add 2 1/2 cups of water. It will boil quickly, then turn down heat , cover with lid and simmer for about 30-40 minutes . This is a delicious, non-gummy way to prepare brown rice.

• Lin_da
    22 years ago

I found this method and used it just last week. It works very well. And it didn't stick either!

Rice Made in Microwave

2 c. water
    1 c. long grain white rice

Add water and rice to 2 quart microwave safe dish.
    Cover and microwave on high for 3 minutes. Uncover, stir and continue to microwave for 15 minutes. Now...Do NOT
    remove cover. Let stand covered for 15 minutes in microwave.
    Makes 4 Servings
    Remove cover, careful of the steam.
    Fluff and serve hot!

• pinecone
    22 years ago

I soak my brown rice over night or about 8 hours. Cover the rice with water plus about 1 inch above the rice. Soak. When ready to cook make sure there is enough water to cover the rice plus 3/4-1 inch then bring to a full rolling boil and boil for 3 minutes. Place a tight lid on the pot and do not lift the lid for 30 minutes. Ready to serve.

ssandy that way of cooking rice is/was called dirty rice. I served it now and then!!!!!!!

• Corrie
    22 years ago

I do like Pinecone and soak the rice several hours or overnight; makes all the difference to the texture. This way it turns out much softer and not so chewy. I bring it to a boil, cover and simmer very gently for about 30 minutes. Corrie

• Mountain_girl
    21 years ago

I cook it in the microwave and use 1 cup rice to 2.1/4 cups hot water. Cook covered on high for 30 minutes. It always works out beautifully. For white rice it is 1 cup to 2 cups hot water for 20 minutes. Good luck

• caitzs
    21 years ago

I cook white and brown rice the same. I always use long-grained rice because it's less gummy. I put 2 cups dry rice in a saucepan and cover with 3 cups water. (this proportion for the brown rice also keeps down gumminess) Cover and bring to boil over high heat. Turn heat down as low as possible - use a heat diffuser if needed. The rice should simmer and not foam up with the lid on. Optimally, the lid should never be removed, but if you need to release steam to keep down any overflow, it won't hurt. Simmer, covered, for 20 minutes (30 minutes for brown rice) or until a spatula shows that there is no water at the bottom of the pan.