Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nancyl_ont

LOOKING for: Old-fashioned macaroni casserole

nancyl_ont
22 years ago

I have a feeling I asked for this before but I can`t find any recipes I may have printed. My Mother used to make such a good, simple dish that I always think of it as comfort food.

Comments (4)

• rabbitmole
    22 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I also have been searching for the perfect homemade mac & cheese. I just recently found this recipe. I haven't tried it yet though, but it seemed to be the only thing close to what I was searching for.

Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups dry elbow macaroni
    1 stick of butter
    12 ounces cheddar cheese
    4 ounces mozzarella cheese
    5 cups milk
    salt and pepper to taste

Cut up the butter and cheeses, add milk, salt and pepper and spread it out in various layers over noodles in a 9 x 13 pan. Bake at 350 for one hour.

• femail
    22 years ago

delicious.....
    Macaroni and Cheese

This is without a doubt in my mind the best Macaroni and Cheese you'll ever eat, so whip up a batch and invite me over.

Ingredients
    1 cup elbow macaroni
    1 cup milk
    2 tblsp margarine
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 tblsp flour
    1 lb longhorn cheese

Cook 1 cup elbow macaroni for 8 min. Drain and set aside.

Make a medium white sauce using 2 tblsp of margarine, 2 tblsp of flour, 1 cup of milk and 1/4 tsp of salt. Melt the margarine(low heat), add all but 1/4 cup of milk and the flour. Add the flour to the remaining milk in a covered container and shake. Add to the mixture and stir continuously until it thickens - about 5 min. Add the macaroni

Use a 1 lb longhorn cheese. Slice enough cheese for 3 layers in a 1.5 qt casserole dish. Cut the rest of the cheese in chunks and melt with sauce and macaroni. Starting with the cheese make layers of the cheese and macaroni in the casserole(cheese,macaroni,cheese,macaroni,cheese). End with a layer of cheese on top. Bake at 350 degrees, about 1 hour or until all the cheese is melted.

MACARONI AND CHEESE
    Serves 12

8 tablespoons (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for dish
    6 slices good white bread, crusts removed, torn into 1/4- to 1/2-inch pieces
    5 1/2 cups milk
    1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
    4 1/2 cups (about 18 ounces) grated sharp white cheddar cheese
    2 cups (about 8 ounces) grated Gruye or 1 1/4 cups (about 5 ounces) pecorino Romano cheese
    1 pound elbow macaroni
    Sour cream, for garnish (optional)

1. Heat oven to 375°. Butter a 3-quart casserole dish; set aside. Place the bread in a medium bowl. In a small saucepan over medium heat, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Pour butter into bowl with bread, and toss. Set the bread crumbs aside.

2. In a medium saucepan set over medium heat, heat the milk. Melt remaining 6 tablespoons butter in a medium pot over medium heat. When butter bubbles, add flour. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.

3. While whisking, slowly pour in hot milk. Continue cooking, whisking constantly, until the mixture bubbles and becomes thick.

4. Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in salt, nutmeg, black pepper, cayenne pepper, 3 cups cheddar cheese, and 1 1/2 cups Gruyère or 1 cup pecorino Romano; set cheese sauce aside.

5. Fill a large saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Add macaroni; cook 2 to 3 minutes less than manufacturerÂs directions, until the outside of pasta is cooked and the inside is underdone. (Different brands of macaroni cook at different speeds; be sure to read the instructions.) Transfer the macaroni to a colander, rinse under cold running water, and drain well. Stir macaroni into the reserved cheese sauce.

6. Pour mixture into prepared dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 1/2 cups cheddar cheese, 1/2 cup Gruyère or 1/4 cup pecorino Romano, and bread crumbs over top. Bake until browned on top, 45 to 60 minutes. Transfer dish to a wire rack to cool for 5 minutes. Serve garnished with sour cream if desired.
    super rich.......

Macaroni and Cheese

2 cups Macaroni, elbow or other variety
    1 cup grated/shredded cheddar cheese
    1 cup grated/shredded Jack cheese
    1 cup grated/shredded Colby cheese
    1/2 cup butter
    1 cup bread crumbs
    1/3 cup flour
    3 cups milk

Cook macaroni per package instructions.

Mix 3 types of cheese together.

Melt 2 tablespoons butter in saucepan. Mix in bread crumbs and add 1/2 cup of cheese mixture. Set aside.

Melt remaining butter, stir in flour to make a roux. Gradually stir in milk. Cook until it thickens.

Add cheese mixture until it melts. Stir in Macaroni.

Pour into a baking dish and top with bread crumb mixture.

Bake at 375 degrees for 25 minutes.

• techgoddess
    22 years ago

Here's the one my grandmother always made. I love this recipe!

Baked Macaroni and Cheese

Ingredients:

8 oz. pkg. elbow macaroni
    Boiling water
    Salt
    3 T. butter or margarine
    2 T. flour, dash pepper
    2 cups milk
    2 cups grated sharp Cheddar cheese
    1 T. grated onion
    1/2 T. dry mustard
    1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/2 cup buttered crumbs

Directions:

Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water according to package directions. Drain. Set oven for moderate, 375 degrees. Melt butter or margarine; blend in flour, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper. Add milk; cook over low heat until smooth and thickened, stirring constantly. Add cheese, onion, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce; continue to cook until cheese melts. Add macaroni. Pour into a greased 2-quart casserole. Top with crumbs. Bake about 25 minutes or until browned. Makes 6 to 8 servings.

• nancyl_ont
    Original Author
    22 years ago

Thanks all. These recipes look great. Funny though, I thought there would be tomatoes in there somewhere.