Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Rennet

Posted by
LD
(ldancausse@hotmail.com) on
Mon, Feb 26, 01 at 14:51

Greetings!

What can one do with rennet? The saleslady at the Health Shop was only able to tell me it was used to make yogourt "and other cheeses", but she didn't know how.

Does anyone know?

Thanks,

LD

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Rennet

Rennet is an animal enzyme used to curdle milk in making cheese. It is controversial to vegetarians since it is derived from the stomach lining of calves. Cottage cheese, ricotta nad some mozzerella are rennetless. There are also some rennet-like ingredients which do not require killing calves.

Rennet tablets can be used to make cheese, yogurt, custard, junkets, etc. Just search for rennet + recipe

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/rennet.html

A much easier way to make yogurt is to use a starter.

Scald milk - do NOT boil -
(To scald cook on medium heat until a film forms on the top.)
Then remove from the burner and let cool to approximately 110 degrees.
Pour into jars,
Add approximately 2 tablespoons per quart of either yogurt with live acidofilus cultures or yogurt starter.
You can either then let it rest in either a warm oven (approximately 110 - 120 degrees) or in a warm water bath (water at approximately 110 degrees) for 4 - 12 hours. Michelle Lennon set up a warm water bath in a igloo cooler and let it sit over night. It will start to thicken but will not completely firm up until it is cooled.
Place the jars in the fridge and it's ready to go as soon as it cools.

o

I've never heard of using rennet to make yoghurt.I have never seen it listed on the labels of commercial yoghurts either.

o

Can/are bacterial enzymes be used as a substitute for rennet?

o

You mean...you can specifically buy RENNET? Ewww...

I'm so glad that I'm a vegan

:)
Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here