Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: found! rice nut loaf recipe!

Posted by carol_ann (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 22, 07 at 9:13

OK, I'm the only one in the world who's excited about this, but I was visiting in Maine and discovered a copy of the NY Times cookbook that I don't have on hand, and so I got a copy of the recipe I was looking for... (see post "looking for"). Here it is in all it's glory, with my changes.

Ingredients:

1 c. chopped nuts (I used about 3/4 c. almonds and 1/4 c. walnuts but use what you have. Just chop really fine -- I use the food processor or a coffee grinder)
1 onion, finely chopped
garlic (2 or 3 cloves)
3 ribs celery, finely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 c. wheat germ (I usually start with 1/2 c. and add a little more if the loaf is too moist)
3 T. nutritional (brewer's) yeast
2 c. cooked brown rice
1 T. tamari or soy sauce
rosemary, sage, thyme

I saute the onions and celery and garlic first but you don't have to -- then just mix everything together. Put in an oiled loaf pan, bake at 350F for 40 minutes or so, let sit for 10 minutes, slice and serve! I love it with mushroom gravy but other sauces would be good. It has a very meaty texture and taste (the nutritional yeast helps with that) and is a great substitute for turkey on Thanksgiving. Leftovers are good sliced and eaten warmed, cold, on sandwiches... you get the idea. I love, love, love this nut loaf after trying many others.

Bon appetit!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: found! rice nut loaf recipe!

It sounds like a great recipe, I'm going to give it a try!
I thought I'd mention that we make these kinds of loaves by making up the recipes. Always nuts, alway some kind of legume, always some kind of binding agent--we prefer tomato paste and bread crumbs to eggs, and always garlic/onion. We just change it around some...shredded carrot, potato, turnip or beets, diced peppers, bits of broccoli or diced squash. Crumbled firm tofu, diced tofurkey sausage or seiten(sp?). We also switch from rice to quinoa to no grains at all, just extra lentils. All these loaf recipes are fun to mess around with...try it!

o
RE: RECIPE: found! rice nut loaf recipe!

I cooked the recipe tonight and it was delicious. I read jclepine's post so I changed it a little. I added a container of tofu that I blended into a paste, plus 2 additional eggs & 1 T of yeast. I saute'd (sp?) the onions in butter, along with 1 T of garlic paste and added the spices to the saute (I used 1 t of rosemary and thyme, and 1/2 t of sage). I baked 45 minutes covered and 15 minutes more uncovered. The texture and taste were excellent. Even my meat eating friends liked it.

Next time I'll add some shredded carrot and some peas. I can see this will make good sandwiches. It was good with mushroom gravy and potatoes augratin, like vegetarian comfort food.
Thanks for sharing. The recipe is definitely a keeper!
-Hal

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here