Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
questrist

RECIPE: found! rice nut loaf recipe!

Carol_Ann
17 years ago

OK, I'm the only one in the world who's excited about this, but I was visiting in Maine and discovered a copy of the NY Times cookbook that I don't have on hand, and so I got a copy of the recipe I was looking for... (see post "looking for"). Here it is in all it's glory, with my changes.

Ingredients:

1 c. chopped nuts (I used about 3/4 c. almonds and 1/4 c. walnuts but use what you have. Just chop really fine -- I use the food processor or a coffee grinder)

1 onion, finely chopped

garlic (2 or 3 cloves)

3 ribs celery, finely chopped

2 eggs, beaten

3/4 c. wheat germ (I usually start with 1/2 c. and add a little more if the loaf is too moist)

3 T. nutritional (brewer's) yeast

2 c. cooked brown rice

1 T. tamari or soy sauce

rosemary, sage, thyme

I saute the onions and celery and garlic first but you don't have to -- then just mix everything together. Put in an oiled loaf pan, bake at 350F for 40 minutes or so, let sit for 10 minutes, slice and serve! I love it with mushroom gravy but other sauces would be good. It has a very meaty texture and taste (the nutritional yeast helps with that) and is a great substitute for turkey on Thanksgiving. Leftovers are good sliced and eaten warmed, cold, on sandwiches... you get the idea. I love, love, love this nut loaf after trying many others.

Bon appetit!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Moda Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars20 Reviews
Loudoun County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living