Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
LOOKING for: Good ideas for formal wedding reception

Posted by
tym
(tymoko@aol.com) on
Sun, Feb 18, 01 at 3:57

I'm getting married in a few months. Hubby and I go to the caterer in a few days to do menu stuff and we were gonna bring along some ideas on types of dishes we'd like to have.
Any thoughts on what kinds of foods, or maybe even recipes that would be good for a somewhat formal (but still buffet style) meal?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: LOOKING for: Good ideas for formal wedding reception

I assume you are going vegetarian. Is your caterer familiar with vegetarian dishes?
Some vegetarian dishes which can be made in large quantities and are acceptable to all
Protein Salad (the regular stuff with beans, nuts , etc.)
Vegetarian Lasagna
Non-meat Italian "meatballs"
Vegetables without fat or meat
For the daring - flavor-baked tofu cubes and apricot dipping sauce

o

Rissotos made with veggies using water or vegetable broth are good. They can be made for a crowd, are filling and rich tasting.

Zuchini or eggplant cut in planks then grilled. Marinate with olive oil, herbs, and lemon juice. Serve as is, or wrap around other items to make a cold "roll". For example, wrap around a grain timbale (pressed into a mold then turned out - use rice, bulgur, barley, etc.) then skewered together with a rosemary stem. Or fold around a rice/other filling and tie with blanched chives into packets.

You could omit the marinating and serve them warm as well.

Veggie paella is also very colorful, and filling especially if you sprinkle almonds, peanuts or cashews on it before serving.

Baked polenta cut in diamonds and topped with grilled veggies. Very pretty yet easy to serve on a buffet.

Spinach pie made with phyllo pastry, spinach, dill, garlic, and lemon. You can add the eggs and cheese, but if you are ovo lacto, you can use silken tofu instead. This could be done on a cookie sheet platter and cut into squares or diamonds, or you can make individual pies using muffin tins and strips of phyllo.

Stuffed grape leaves or cabbage rolls using meatless rice or other grains (barley cooked in veggie broth is really good).

I could give more ideas if I knew more. Is it just vegetarian, or ovo lacto?

o

Wow...these recipe ideas are making me hungry-even as I'm enjoying "Fantastic" Foods Cajun Soup (vegan).

MMMm...
:)
Mark

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here