Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jengriffin7

LOOKING for: egg substitute

Jen Griffin
23 years ago

I am looking for an egg substitute to use in baked goods. Many of my friends are vegetarian, and also do not eat eggs. All of the substitutes I have read about have either egg whites or geletin in them (obviously neither is an appropriate choice.)

I have heard you can buy such things in natural food markets; I am hoping to find one I can make using ingredients I already have (or can buy at a regular supermarket.)

Thanks!

Comments (8)

• Kay
    23 years ago

Hi Jen - this is a good substitute, and not too terribly hard to find the ingredients.
    Check out a bulk store!

Ener-G Type Egg Replacer

1 cup potato starch
    3/4 cup tapioca flour
    2 tsps baking powder

Mix all well.
    Store in airtight container.

To use:
    1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 2 Tbs water = 1 egg.
    1 & 1/2 tsp powder + 1 Tbs water = 1 egg yolk.

When measuring, press powder firmly into measuring spoon.

• chris
    23 years ago

Hi, I hope this will help.
    In many recipes you can create your own egg substitute by any of the following methods: use one ounce of mashed tofu; use 1/2 mashed banana in sweet recipes; mix one tablespoon of flax meal with two tablespoons water; or use one tablespoon of corn starch or arrowroot mixed with two tablespoons of water. These techniques will help the recipe to "bind" when eggs are included for that purpose. You just have try the different ideas to see what works best in your favorite recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Vegetarian-Tips

• Jen Griffin
    Original Author
    23 years ago

Actually, the recipe that I wanted to try first is banana bread, which already has 4 bananas in it (and one egg.) Maybe it doesn't need the egg after all? Thanks for all the suggestions!

• Jane
    23 years ago

All you need is applesauce. 1/4 cup per egg. And it doesn't change the taste of the recipe.

• Spencer
    23 years ago

The problem I have is that without eggs my cakes sometimes do not rise and my brownies seperate (oil floats to the top while in the oven). I use Ener-G egg replacer. Any suggestions?

• B. Young
    23 years ago

About two years ago Prevention magazine had a piece on using flaxseed meal (cooked ) as an egg substitute. They most likely have a website and a help line.

• eveline
    23 years ago

Tightwad Gazette suggests using one heaping tablespoon of soy flour and one tablespoon of water to substitute an egg in baking.

It works well in most cases although the author reported that she got flat and hard cookies when she used this substitute TOGETHER with applesauce for oil.

• carolb
    23 years ago

Here's a list of egg subs,courtesy of PETA...

** Eggs-citing Eggless Eggs One egg (or even two) in a recipe can often simply be skipped,
    but there are also many tried and true substitutes that work wonders:

Binding for burgers and loaves:

Mashed potato or avocado
    Moistened bread crumbs or rolled oats
    Tahini (sesame butter) and nut butters

Baking (each substitute replaces one egg):

Commercial egg replacer (for example, 1 1/2 tsp. ENER-G + 2 Tbsp. water)

3 Tbsp. tofu blended with the liquid in the recipe

2 Tbsp. cornstarch, potato starch, or arrowroot mixed with 2 Tbsp. water

1 heaping Tbsp. soy flour + 2 Tbsp. water

1/2 banana, mashed

1 Tbsp. flax seeds + 1/2 cup water blended for 1 to 2 minutes or until the mixture is
    thick and has the consistency of beaten egg whites

Here is a link that might be useful: Egg Subs