Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
shermp_gw

LOOKING for: what to use for vegan cooking to replace milk or cr

shermp
13 years ago

I am moving away from recipes with dairy and would like to replace it. Any suggestions?

For example, veggie pot pies usually call for milk or cream.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• suzyqtexas
    13 years ago

in veggie pies you could use veggy broth, soy milk, or almond milk

• Yardspace.org
    13 years ago

Hard work. I understand anyone wanting to remove dairy, but replacing that nutrition is not easy and requires dedication. The average vegan is under nourished.
    Things I would do
    1) Make vast quantities of vegetable stock and put it in everything. Roast vegetables with onions, garlic, herbs on a high heat until they are just browning, put in a pot with COLD water and bairly simmer for a few hours. Things that add flavor to veg stock: celery, bay, celery root(celeriac),caraway,just about any herb, paprika (add while roasting veg), plus all the usual vegetables.

Soy milk and almond, as suggested are great, if you are made of money. I love em but expensive.

• scl4
    12 years ago

When making soup, I like to puree raw cashews that have been soaked in water for a couple of hours with a little bit of the soup. Makes it taste creamy. I usually do this when I have used no other oil when making the soup.

For a dessert "cream" I do much the same. Puree soaked cashews with water, a couple of dates, and vanilla. Put it over fresh fruit like blueberries and strawberries. Yum.

• Pyewacket
    12 years ago

Silken tofu is often substituted for cream, sour cream, yoghurt, and some cheeses.

• Olychick
    12 years ago

you could use coconut milk or cream in many recipes.

• pjaxson
    12 years ago

I am vegetarian and my wife and I always use almond milk or soy milk and it works wonderfully

• Jeanine Gurley
    12 years ago

I have been cooking with westsoy organic unsweetened soy milk for a couple of years now. (I use that brand 'cause it is the only one I can find with only soybean and water in it).

I think it tastes better in gravy and soups than milk. We first had the most wonderful gravy at a cafe in Florida some years ago and I kept bugging the waitress about it until the cook came out and told me it was soymilk. I have been cooking with it ever since.

• veggiegal1
    10 years ago

I use almond milk. Get the unsweetened for cooking. The sweetened or vanilla flavored is good if you are making pudding.

• avian
    10 years ago

I use unsweetened vanilla almond milk. You can also try coconut milk.

This post was edited by avian on Tue, Mar 4, 14 at 19:24

• cliff321
    9 years ago

Silken Tofu?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    9 years ago

Approximately 75% of adult humans are lactose intolerant.

Would you like to produce any statistics to support that wildly inaccurate and misleading claim?

Lactose intolerance is directly related to genetics. Certain ethnic populations tend to be predisposed to lactose intolerance, the highest being east Asian. It also tends to be more common with people from a Mediterranean heritage. In those with a northern European heritage, the occurrence is quite low, only about 5%.

The statisic of interest here, according to the international medical community, is that 65% (not 75%) of the adult human population has a reduced ability to digest lactose after infancy. And reduced ability does not translate directly to intolerance.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz