Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
letta_gw

RECIPE: Vegetable juicing

letta
18 years ago

Does anyone know a good site to find out about the specific benefits you get from different vegggies and fruits? Does celery have a diuretic effect? Thanks for any responses given.

Comments (3)

• grainlady_ks
    18 years ago

Check your local library for books on the subject. Google to check out the - World's Healthiest Food - web site. You'll find a lot of information there.

A good book to look for is, "Healing with Whole Foods" - Oriental Traditions and Modern Nutrition by Paul Pitchford. Lots of information about foods and disease.

Another book that gives a lot of information about juicing and various fruits/veggies used: Prescription for Cooking & Dietary Wellness by Phyllis A. Balch, C.N.C. & James F. Balch, M.D. Here's what this book says about juicing celery: Celery is an excellent source of magnesium, iron, vitamins A, B, C and E, calcium and potassium. It has a natural diuretic effect and aids in the elimination of carbon dioxide from the body. It can also have a relaxing effect. Add a couple of stalks to other juices. It is good for arthritis, appetite, adrenal function and weight loss. Six stalks yield one glass of juice. The sodium content will neutralize acid in the body. Celery is a good brain tonic, enhances memory, is good for dizziness, headache, and arthritis.

If your library doesn't have these books, ask them to get them through inter-library loan.

About celery: Source: Reader's Digest Foods That Harm Foods That Heal - an A-Z guide to safe and healthy eating.

Celery benefits: low in caolories and high in fiber. Good source of potassium. May reduce inflammation and protect against cancer.

Drawbacks - High in plant nitrates, which can be reduce by cooking, boiling, brasing, and steaming.

Polyactylene, a compound in celery, is said to reduce production of prostaglandins, body chemicals that are instrumental in producing inflammation.

Grainlady

• scaryscorpion
    18 years ago

Thanks for that worlds healthiest foods website! what a great site! I'll use it all the time now. www.whfoods.com

• oliverp
    17 years ago

I juice quite a lot with more or less anything I have in the fridge. I have lots of juice books but I'm sure you'll have a good choice at the library too. Carrots and apples are very good standby's.

Thank you very much for the webpage www.whfoods.com - what a great site it is. It'll be one of my regular visits too.

Thanks