TOFU SALAD SANDWICHES
“American Heart Assoc. Low-Fat, Low Cholesterol Cookbook
Serves: 5… Plan ahead…needs to refrigerate for a few hours.
20 oz. tofu, drained
2 small stalks celery, finely chopped
1/2 small red onion, minced
1/2 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
1/2 medium sweet red pepper, finely chopped
3 T. reduced- fat Italian dressing
1 T. lite soy sauce or tamari
1 tsp. fresh lemon juice
Pinch cayenne pepper
Garlic powder to taste
5 whole-wheat pitas
10 leaves Boston lettuce, rinsed and dried
20 fresh mushrooms, sliced
Place tofu between two thick layers of paper towels. Place between two plates and press down of the top plate. Pour off liquid. Place pressed tofu and the next 9 ingredients. Mix well, breaking up any large pieces of tofu. Refrigerate for a few hours to allow flavors to blend. Cut each pits in half to form pockets and line with lettuce and mushrooms. Add about 1/3 cup of tofu salad to each pita. Serve immediately.
Nutritional Analysis: 1 whole pita and 2/3 cup filling equals: 164 calories…9 gm protein…25 gm carbohydrate…4 gm fat (0.52 gm saturated)…0 cholesterol…364 mg sodium
Information about Posting
- You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
- Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
- Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
- After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
- Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
- We have a strict no-advertising policy!
- If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
- If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.
Learn more about in-text links on this page here