Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
RECIPE: Company dinner

Posted by Corrie (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 30, 02 at 1:48

While we're by no means total vegetarians at this time, I've been trying to use less meat in our meals. There are plenty of pasta, bean and casserole types of recipes on this forum, but I'm curious about more "fancy" occaisions. What do you like to serve for a special dinner, say if the boss was coming for supper? corrie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: RECIPE: Company dinner

I might make a more "out of the ordinary" pasta dish, like a stuffed cannelloni. A bean/nut loaf or a nice quiche might do too. Then of course a salad, a hot vegetable dish, bread or rolls, wine, and a nice dessert.

AmyT

o

In those cases, I normally make one of the souffles from either Vegetarian Epicure or Vegetarian Epicure II, both by Anna Thomas. Although they are souffles, they are easy to make and it seems like everyone enjoys them. I usually make the roux an hour or two ahead, have the egg whites ready in the mixing bowl & then about an hour ahead of time, whip the egg whites, mix the stuff together & pop it into the oven. I think people are so impressed that they're being served a souffle, they don't notice they're not eating meat. Plus, it dispels any notion they may have had that every meal I serve has tofu in it. ;-)

o

French Vegetarian Feast

Field Mushroom Caviar
Three Layer Vegetable Loaf
Sweet Peppers Stuffed with Saffron Rice
Provencal Vegetable Bake

Mexican Vegetarian Feast

Zucchini & Hominy Soup
Carrot Salsa
Green Chile Enchiladas

Three Cheese Lasagne
another family pleaser: luscious ricotta and mozzarella cheeses between layers of pasta, with fresh herbs, and topped with more cheese and a flavorful marinara sauce
tossed baby greens salad
garlic french bread

Appetizers/Starters
Relish plate of sliced vegetables (Crudits); White wine.
Guacamole
An Easy Cheese Hors-d'oeuvre
Pumpkin Soup

Main Course
Home-made bread; Salad; Steamed carrots and green beans; Mashed potatoes; rolls; Bread stuffing; Red wine.
Vegan Bisquits
Vegan Nut Roast with Stuffing la PeTA
Vegan Gravy
Simple Cranberry Sauce

Dessert
Coffee, tea, hot cocoa; Champagne.
Vegan Pumpkin Pie
Butter Tarts

o

Vegetarian Meatloaf Recipe

1 c Lentils - raw, brown
1/4 c Wheat germ
1 c Breadcrumbs - whole wheat
1/2 c Brown rice
1 Onion - small, minced
3 Eggs
1 c Clove - crushed
1 ts Thyme
1 tb Soy sauce
4 tb Tomato sauce
1 tb Olive oil

Cover lentils with water and cook on a low boil for 1-1/2 hours or until tender. Mash lentils coarsely and combine with remaining ingredients. Pour into well greased loaf pan and bake, covered, at 350 F for 45 minutes. Remove cover and continue to cook for 15 minutes or until loaf is firm to the touch. Serve with your favourite sauce.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Vegetarian Recipe Exchange Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here