Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
warmest clothes to buy

Posted by MonaBlair (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 3, 03 at 14:31

My daughter is going to Sweden and Finland over the Christmas holidays. We are normally in warm temperatures so she needs to buy warm jackets, sweaters, thermals and shoes with good tread to walk in snow and ice. What should she look for to make sure the clothes are well insulated? Any particular brands? Catalogs?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: warmest clothes to buy

Go on line and look at REI (Recreation Equipment Incorporated)based in Seattle. You can save a little money buying their house brand. Their reputation is very good. I would get polar-tec - in layers - coat, pants, vest, and hat. If you get a coat, I wuld get real rather than synthetic down just because it compresses so well and won't take up nearly as much room in a suitcase. She will need good padded socks. The synthetic/wool blends are good. Patagonia makes good socks and they are available from REI. She will want some good underwear - again, I recommend the house brand at REI - it is light and silky while still being warm - and also wicks moisture away from the body. Sorrell makes a good warm boot that isn't terribly expensive. To summarize: dress in layers.

o

Thanks. Will look at REI.

o

Another place that has good quality warm clothes for reasonable prices is SierraTradingPost.com. Personally, I like silk or silk/wool blends long underwear under business or dress clothes.

NedraW

Here is a link that might be useful: Sierra Trading Post

o

I do not know any good places to buy stuff, but I am originally from Estonia, south of Finland and I know that what ever you buy needs to be able to block out wind. Wind-chill is a big factor there. Laiers and real wool, not synthetic materials, would be better as well. We live in Florida, used to live in NJ and my leather winter coat from NJ was not nearly enough in the beginning of October when I visited. Make sure that she also has several pairs of mittens, as If one pair gets wet.
Hope this helps.

o

I definitely agree with everyone who said to dress in layers. I also agree with the others' reccommendations for cold-weather gear.

However, even if the parka is warm, I always find that my legs are freezing and often chapped. Even when I wear silk underwear and pants. I much prefer a long, heavy wool coat for everyday wear. One that goes down at least over my calves.

o

Wool socks and boots, wool mittens, wool hat that covers ears, several wool scarves and a long down coat and long underwear.

o

She called from Sweden today. She's staying warm except for her feet and had to buy fur lined boots. She says those are working fine. Thanks for all of your suggestions. She listened to you when she wouldn't take my advice.

o

That's great. I once had to give an Australian grad student a course in dressing for New England weather, and I *know* she didn't believe me when I told her how cold it would get. Fortunately, several of us combined convinced her.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here