SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wodka

Elderly mother headed to Banff, Canada

wodka
15 years ago

My mother, who will turn 84 in January, has been asked by my 65 year old cousin to go with her to Banff, Canada at the end of January. I know I sound like "Debbie Downer," but I have expressed my concerns, which include:

Mother recently diagnosed with CLL (Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia); also has diverticultis, and if she doesn't watch what she eats, has serious pain; arthritis in her knee; etc. She was born and raised in the South, does not know anything about getting around on ice or in cold weather. The last few times she has flown, she's developed vertigo and has taken weeks to recover.

My cousin is very self-centered, and I worry about her not paying the proper attention to my mother. I used to be not so overly protective until we lost our dad two years ago, and Mom leaned heavily on me.

My husband said just not to worry about it, just let her go, which I am doing. But any advice on what she should do to prepare for the trip, what to watch out for, how to get around, would be greatly appreciated. I know she needs to have long underwear, good hat, gloves, coat and boots, but what else?

BRRR - I get cold just looking at Banff's website.....

Comments (5)

Sponsored
Dream Design Construction LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Innovative Design-Build Firms