Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cruise in Alaska

Posted by Happyladi (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 20, 05 at 13:49

I have always wanted to see Alaska. I found a 12 day Cruise/tour that is about $2,000 a person without airfare. It includes a 7 day Carnival cruise with a 5 day land tour. It leaves June 3d. There will be 2 adults in their early 50's, a 20 year old and a 15 year old.

Is this way too early to leave? It looks like the temps will have highs in the low 60's then. Is July much better?

How important is it to have a room with a view?

Is there much to do for teenagers on a Carnival cruise ship?

Is this a fair price? How much more will the extras cost do you think?

Did you love Alaska?

Any help appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cruise in Alaska

Your problem with June 3rd is that school won't yet be out in most districts and your teenagers may find themselves all alone on the ship. I went the second week of September and there was only one child aboard. He wasn't very happy.

I think the price you quote is very fair

We spent about $50 a day for extras for the 2 of us. That's a pretty bare bones budget. That was for the sightseeing trips we took on land. If that isn't what you mean, then I think you can proceed much more inexpensively. Goodness knows you get enough food.

I think that you will love Alaska. It wasn't that great for me because I live in the northwest and except for the day in Glacier Bay, I didn't really see anything I don't see all the time. When I go on vacation, I like to head east or south to see something different.

o

Schools are out here at the end of May and I was thinking this was a plus, that Alaska would be less crowded. I didn't think about not having any other teenagers on the boat. That is a very good point!

o

Sounds like a good price. I would recommend you go to CruiseCritic.com and lurk on the boards - they have them for Carnival Cruise Lines as well as one specific for Alaska.

I agree that it's kind of early, our land tour started on June 18, and there were 3 kids on the tour (40 adults). Alaska isn't very crowded no matter when you go. The tours you take during your cruise will be well managed, so crowds aren't really an issue. Our cruise started on June 25 and there were more kids then because most schools were closed for the summer. The cruise will have activities for your 15 year old, the tour will not.

You will love Alaska, we had a wonderful trip. I think your 15 year old will too, eventually.

On most tours, meals aren't included, so you'll have to pay for them, though I don't know about Carnival. On the cruise - the shore excursions cost extra, anywhere from $30 or $40 per person to several hundred dollars. We were in the mid-range for our land tours during the cruise and found them well worth it. We will probably never get back, so we chose our trip carefully to see as much as possible. If cost is a limiting factor, there are usually some free/inexpensive things you can do in each port town.

I think having a room with a view is very important. I went with my DD and SIL, they had a room with a balcony and loved it, I had an inside cabin, across the hall, with no view or even a window, I hated it, very boring, and the bridge cam just didn't do much for me.

Have a great trip.

o

Since prime time for Alaaska is only about 2-3 months June is perfect timing. We went in early July & it is still very cool in the mornings & evening but mid day gorgeous.

We went on Royal Carribean which was excellent & food phenomenal. Granted we added an extra week in Vancouver & Victoria but our trip was about $10,000 for 2 adults 9 yrs ago.

Excurions are very very expensive. About $200 per person is more like it, i.e,. kayacking, canoeing, etc.

Michie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here