Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
easiest exit from I95 to ground Zero NY

Posted by BruceG (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 19, 02 at 16:25

Hi Folks. My wife and I and another couple are heading to Florida In January to pick up a cruise. We live in Canada and will be travelling I-95 the whole way.I would like somebody from the area of NY to tell me the most easiest way to leave I95 into ground zero and back to I 95. What would be even better if someone could tell me where there is a safe place I could leave my car outside NYC and grab a subway or something to go into the City for a day and back the same evening.Ive driven in the City before and I really dont need the stress since we are on a time frame.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: easiest exit from I95 to ground Zero NY

You hit the nail on the head in terms of stashing your car outside NYC. We recently visited a friend in downtown Manhattan. We drove up from the DC area and left our car at the NJ Transit lot in Princeton Junction. It was much more pleasant than driving into NYC and cheaper for the two of us given bridge/tunnel tolls, and how much it is to park in the city. (My wife and I used to live in Manhattan, so we know about driving there.) It takes some time, especially if you need to transfer trains, but I definitely recommend it.

I recommend you check out the websites for NJ transit (njransit.org) and Metro-North (pasted below) to identify places to park your vehicle. Aside from security concerns, you want to factor in traffic timing. If you arrive at rush hour, hop a Metro-North train in Westchester county. If you arrive at a low traffic hour you may want to get around NYC and take NJ transit in to minimize hassles when you leave.

While I don't know all of the towns in these areas, one nice place to park your car north of NYC is Larchmont. It is a rather wealthy area where my wife used to work, and the train station is only a couple miles off of I-95.

You might even consider parking your car at Newark airport. There are plenty of transportation options to and from downtown Manhattan from there, and it is right off of I-95.

Good luck and have a great trip.

Dan

Here is a link that might be useful: Metro-North RR

o

It is always wise to not bring a car into Manhattan.

o

If you avoid rush hour you will be OK. If you park off the road you drive in on, you can have easy in/easy out. It is pretty straightforward from 95Southbound, if you want to try it:
Take 95S all the way to New York. Follow Signs to Triborough bridge. The route you want is 278/Triborough bridge. The only important thing is to stay in the right lane on 278, once you are on a big metal bridge there will be a small sign for a right turn off that says "Manhattan/FDR drive" with little warning. Take this right, then you will be at the triborough bridge toll (I think 3.50).
Take the FDR Drive south option from the toll. Go all the way down the island to the South Street Exit3. Proceed to SouthStreet seaport, a tourist area that will have parking, transportation, bus loops and visitor information.
You will be able to back track these directions to get back onto 95.

o

Don't drive unless you know what you are doing....take public transportation. Driving in and around NYC is an art!

o

All these messages about "Don't drive in NYC" crack me up. New York is the easiest city to drive in, the grid is very straightforward. If you have never driven in ANY city, then I will grant that New York will be intimidating. But if you have ever been in a city, New York is just a little taller, and probably dirtier, that's all.
Boston is the true driving nightmare of the US. No grid, no lanes, and the Big Dig. New York is a piece of cake in comparison!

o

lpolk, I agree, the only thing I couldn't figure out is where do you get gas? I never remember seeing a gas station in NYC! You're right about Boston, but have you ever tried DC? Talk about your nightmare. For a "planned" city, you'd think there be some sort of logic to the roads, but you'd be wrong.
Anyway, we'd still park in NJ and take the train because it's faster coming from MD.

As an aside, and I don't want to cause anyone pain or offense, but I really don't understand why one would visit ground zero?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here