Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Newport, RI & sailing lessons

Posted by Chelone (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 1, 02 at 15:03

We're a "child-free" couple.

"We" own a sailboat... yeah, right!

He loves to sail, I never did.

NEVER "learn" sailing from your helpmeet. EVER.

We went to sailing school! I, the non-sailor, had the time of my life. REALLY. I haven't had as much fun in long time. I learned to sail without fear, and when we returned home I actually went sailing with my helpmeet and wasn't scared witless. Nor did I allow myself to be ordered around. No need! I knew how to do it, too! Nicest of all, though, was the "level ground" it gave us. We were able to work TOGETHER to enjoy something only HE'D enjoyed before!

Newport is fun place, so much to see and do. GREAT CHOW. But we sailed 7 hrs./day for 5 days. If you want to sight-see, sailing school is NOT for you.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newport, RI & sailing lessons

That proves what I call Rule number 2 for a good marriage....find a hobby you both love to do, or learn a new hobby together.
In our case we learned to scuba dive some 17 years ago together in the infancy of our marriage. That hobby has been an ever-lasting source of travel, entertainment, good friendships, and many a story!

Good advice Chelone!

o
RE: Newport, RI & sailing lessons

I took a one-half day sail from Newport. We went in the morning. It was very foggy. I loved the eeriness of the bay - the sounds of the buoys and the wind in the sails, sloshing noises. However my husband thought it was worthless. In case you guessed - Frank has never been a sailor!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here