Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Baltimore

Posted by apoem (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 27, 02 at 2:59

We are going to Baltimore near the end of December. My husband will be working during the day and I'll be by myself. I'll be there for just under a week. Is there anything I should absolutely not miss while I'm there? Anything I can give a miss, not worth the money or time or effort?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Baltimore

The harbor is fabulous - I love Baltimore and there is so much to see and do there - great historic neighborhoods, shopping, history, etc.. But my favorite is old town Annapolis - you will love it there - cobblestone streets, great shops & restaurants, house museums, fabulous walking tours (Walk with the Colonels Tour), the naval academy tour is great (I thought I would be bored, but it was the highlight). It is only about 20 minutes from Baltimore to Annapolis. Annapolis is right on the water and has a water taxi that will take you to the other side of the river where there are some great restaurants (Ruth Chris Steak HOuse for one), you can also walk across the bridge. You'll have a ball in either or both places.
Cathleen

o

The National Aquarium on the Inner Harbor is great! I highly recommend it, especially the seahorses and the dolphin show. There's a two dollar coupon on the website.

Here is a link that might be useful: aquarium

o

Not sure where you're coming from, but make sure you pack plenty of warm clothes!! :)

o

Yup it will be cold there! Like any other city there are some tough neighborhoods there too. I would not go wandering alone in the dark. So do your homework and keep alert. Edgar Allen Poe is buried in Baltimore and it was worth seeing the graveyard and especially the black cat that about scared me to death there when he jumped from the bushes. Little Italy is a great place to eat (we like Amichi's (may be spelled wrong) which is not a dressy place like some of the restaurants there. The Inner Harbor is pretty and has lots of indoor shopping with a view. I climbed Federal Hill too for a pretty view but it was cold and windy up there. The American Visionery museum is strange - mostly folk art made by people who were "not all there". Check out the decorated van outside and the wind spinners. Boy I envy you - I never had enough time when I was there! Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: Baltimore

o

Hi, I live in Baltimore and here are a few tips:
Fells Point- 5 mins. from the inner harbor by car/taxi. A short but scenic cruise from Inner Harbor by Water Taxi. Definitely a must-see. It is a very quaint historic old fishing town with cobblestone streets, lots of unique locally owned shops, lots of good food, and warm friendly people. Lots of nightlife from clubs with live bands to Irish pubs with small bands and solo musicans. This is THE place to pub-hop.There are also B&Bs there to stay. You will get a good feel for the character of Baltimore, and why is is called Charm City. Also- have a crab cake at a restuarant here, NOT at Harborplce, if you care to taste a real one, not a touristy one. Also- If interested, ask where the Antique shops are ( they are a few bloks North of the water), they are good and you might miss them if you don't walk far enough past the town center.
The Power Plant - a short walk Northeast of the Inner Harbor and the Aquarium. Great restuarants and night clubs. Lots of excitement at night. Take a cab from harbor if cold.

Inner Harbor Highlights- All within EASY walking distance to all and each other:
Harborplace- Lots of shops, lots of food, right on the water. It was at this harbor that F.Scott Key penned The Star Spangled Banner.
Ice skating - right next to the Science Museum, on the water. Rent skates there.
Science Museum - I-Max theater, good exhibits, worth it and good for kids.
World Trade Center- Great view from the top floor.
The Galleria- Across the street ( on Pratt Street )from Harborplace. Lots of very nice shopping. Great view of harbor from restuarant in hotel upstairs called Windows. Good place to have a nice lunch or dinner.
The Harbor Court Hotel- Across street ( on Light Street ) from Inner Harbor. They have great restuarants and a wonderful bar and serve high-tea everyday. Fabulous and expensive, but worth it.
National Aquarium- A World-class Aquarium, very much worth a visit, but Dolphin show is, in my opinion, pretty dull and not worth the time or money.
Borders Bookstore- wonderful to take a warm and leisurely browse. Coffee house inside.
Hard Rock Cafe and ESPN Zone
The SSS Torsk- a real submarine docked in front of Aquarium, pretty cool little tour.

Little Italy- Just east of Aquarium, don't walk if it is cold, it will seem like forever. LOTS of food and the best Italian Pasteries and Gellato at Vaccaro's- good place to end the day with a cappacino and a sweet.

Federal Hill- An area just north of Science Center, local Restuarants, shops, and great Antique stores nearby ( get info. from hotel ).

Mt. Vernon- 10 minute cab ride north of Inner Harbor. Walter's Art Gallery ( an excellent Art Museum), many art galleries along Charles Street, shops, and restuarants.

There are also many, many museums such as: Edgar Allen Poe House, E.Allen Poe grave, Babe Ruth Museum, B&O Train Museum, the Flag House ( where B.Ross stitched her famous flag), Fort McHenry, etc.,these can be found on Baltimore's web-site. ALL are a short cab ride from Inner Harbor, within the downtown area.

Remember, it will be cold and even chillier at the Harbor on the water. I do not reccommend wandering too far past these neighborhoods at night. Be streetwise. Don't know what your interests are, but hope this helps, and... WELCOME and have FUN!

o

I grew up in Columbia Maryland. You have gotten lots of wonderful ideas for Baltimore. You might want to vist Washington D.C.. It is only an hour or so from the edge of Baltimore to the edge of D.C. Washington has lots to offer, get a guide book and explore!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here