Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New York

Posted by
meg1199
(macgi@hfx.andara.com) on
Tue, Sep 17, 02 at 16:47

Hi there!
I need some assistance.......planning a trip mid October to New York city for business......I have the Helmsley Hotel booked on 42nd street....any advice on that area, what's close, what to do what not to do etc......any help is greatly appreciated!!1
Thanks so much!
Meg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New York

Cool places to have a cocktail:
Marriot Marquis lounge overlooking Times Sq, Paramount Hotel Lounge inside up cool staircase (46th st).

Fabulous unforgettable dinner, Sugiyama. Japanese, very newbie friendly, very expensive but worth it. 55th street

The Morgan Library, east 36th street. Beautiful, quiet, interesting, with fabulous garden and cafe inside. (as in JP Morgan)

If you've never been, MUST pop into grand central station, 42d street, look up. I like to have a drink there too, or also nice places for lunch, people watching and star gazing!

o

You'll love NY! You can go to the world's largest ToysRUs to see the huge Lego display, Madame Tussaud's wax musem on 42nd Street, Grand Central Station is not to be missed, the Oyster Bar there is great for lunch at the counter or table, I like the counter. (If you've read Mary Higgins Clark you'll remember one of her books which had an exciting Grand Central experience!)

Some of my favorites are Nicola Paone Restaurant (Italian garden decor) 34th Street between 2nd and 3rd, Ulrikas (Swedish farmhouse decor) 60th between Park & Lex (they have a wonderful "Swedish tasting" dinner including appropriate wines, beers and Aquavits), Off-Broadway "I Love You You're Perfect Now Change" (best show you will EVER see).

The Circle Line boat tour is very informative, you get a lot of information about the city and its right next door to The Intrepid, aircraft carrier museum, on the Hudson River, also very interesting.

As I think of some more things, I'll post them later. There are SO MANY places to go and things to do. Enjoy!

o

Thanks so much....any information is greatly appreciated!
Meg

o

I must endorse the Morgan Library. If you have any interest in books, it is a wonderful experience. When we were there, they had an exhibit of "Books of Hours" from the middle ages that was absolutely incredible.

Be sure to go to Chinatown. We ate there at Shangai Joe's. Authentic Chinese, very inexpensive, and very, very good. You can make reservations if you want. John's Pizza is excellent and very reasonable. Go to Bubby's in Tribeca for breakfast if at all possible. You won't need to eat again all day, I promise you!

One of the best days we had was spent walking in Central Park, then over to the West Side and just walking around, checking out the many little shops and stores.

o

If you like museums or are going to want to see the Circle Line tours, you should check out a City Pass. It gives you the Empire State Building, Circle Line tours, Intrepid Sea Air Space Museum, Museum of Natural History, Whitney Museum of American Art, MOMA, and Guggenheim for only $38. Just make sure you will get your money's worth out of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: City Pass website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here