Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

Permission Letter for Gr. to take Baby on trip: U.S./Canada?

Posted by LifeIsSweet (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 20, 02 at 16:32

Hello, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. My husband and I are letting my mother take our daughter on a trip to Canada to visit my dh's relatives there, while WE go on our anniversary trip. She'll have her birth certificate, but I believe we must also write a letter of permission... What should it say? Informal? Notarized? (Our daughter just turned one - she wouldn't be able to be questioned at the check-gates. They are flying.) Thanks for helping me. ~ Holly

Follow-Up Postings:

RE: Permission Letter for Gr. to take Baby on trip: U.S./Canada?

Yes, you should have a letter giving permission for your daughter to leave the country with your mother--include your mom's name in the letter. Notarized wouldn't hurt. The birth certificate should be the original. We also make sure we have a few family photos along that include the relevant people--it's not official, but it does help if there are questions. Have a great time!

RE: Permission Letter for Gr. to take Baby on trip: U.S./Canada?

My husband and I have taken our God-daughter with us on 4 vacations, 2 in the U.S. and 2 to foreign countries. You want to write a letter expressing that both parents (and give your names) give full consent for your daughter (give her full birth certificate name and her age) to travel with her maternal grandmother (give her full name) to and from (destination) and any areas that this vacation may need to take them. You also want to include that in the event of an emergency that both parents are giving her grandmother full authority to make any medical decisions for your child. You need to also include how you can be contacted if the grandmother becomes incapacitated (include a copy of your itinerary with dates you will be there, hotels and phone numbers). If your daughter has any known medical problems or allergies to medications include this also in the letter.
With this information included, verification can be made if there is ever any question. The letter does not need to be notorized. Do NOT take any original documentation of a birth certificate. Take only a copy, if it is lost, you will have nothing to send to replace it.
Giving your mother this opportunity to take your child with her will be something she will cherish and remember the rest of her life.

Thank You!

I admit, I didn't like the idea at first - my BABY! But hearing your own experience makes me feel a lot better. Thank you. That's a lot of good advice. I guess I 'll call someone (?) to see if the copied birth certificate would be okay... I hope it is. We happen to have a friend of the family who can notarize the letter easily for us. And you're right, my mother is VERY excited, and so is dh's mother, who hasn't seen her new grandaughter yet! ~ Holly

RE: Permission Letter for Gr. to take Baby on trip: U.S./Canada?

If your grandchildren spend a few weeks with you in the states, you need a notorized letter giving your permission to make decisions for the child and medical insurance information. I kept mine for 4 weeks, their parents 1 state away and was very glad to have it. I think my doctor would have treated her anyway, but they don't like to do that. The parents sent her to me with a broken arm.

 o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

    If you are a member, please log in.

    If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

  • You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here