Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Washington, DC

Posted by JayH (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 30, 02 at 8:49

The ladies in my family are planning a multi-generational trip to Washington DC in the spring and would love any suggestions about what to do, where to stay, eat, etc. I've heard there are some tours you can get tickets for from your local congresspeople, but don't know what they are. Any suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Washington, DC

The Embassy suites hotel in Alexandria is just across (directly) the street from the Bradock Rd metro station. It is also within walking distance of Oldtown Alexandria/waterfront.

The tickets you speak of are for the White House tours. The schedule has been dependent upon the current security risk.

Once you get here, there's plenty to do on the mall all within access of the metro and for free (museums, monuments, etc.).

There are good restaurents scattered in Oldtown Alexandria, Georgetown, and in DC.

o

I live nearby and these are some of my favorites:

In the district:

The Capitol building is a great tour, though I don't know if or how any new security restrictions are affecting it.

Everyone who comes to DC should visit the Holocaust Museum.

Of course the mall, its monuments and the Smithsonian museums can fill up a several days. The Imax theatre in the Air and Space museum is a good place to chill after a lot of walking.

Ford's theatre and the museum house across the street where Abraham Lincoln died after he was shot.

Off the beaten path:

The National Cathedral is quite impressive and don't miss their gardens.

George Washington"s Mount Vernon on the Potomac is worth the trip. Great gardens there too.

The National Zoo is free and a great place to go if any kids are along.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mount Vernon

o

Buy an all day Metro pass for $5. Be sure to tour Arlington Cemetery and of course, all the Mall monuments and memorials. The Dept of Printing and Engraving and the FBI have interesting tours of their buildings. Georgetown is a fun place to walk around and look at the shops.

o

Is the FBI tour open again since Sept. 11? I'd love to go on that!

o

Are you going during Garden Week in Virginia - the last week of April? There are so many special tours and exhibits of both private homes and museums like Mt. Vernon, Monticello, Williamsburg, etc. The whole state celebrates gardening. I agree with Kurt regarding staying in Alexandria. When we travel to the northern Virginia area, we always stay at the Embassy Suites in Old Town Alexandria. You can walk across to the metro and get to Arlington Cemetery or DC in a very short time. There are no white house tours since 9/11. One of my favorite places near D.C. is the Marjorie Merryweather Post mansion. If you don't have a car, you'll need to take a cab from D.C. - a short ride, but it is worth it. I love the National Gallery and could spend a whole day there - easily. I like the Decatur House - across the street and down the block from the White House. But Alexandria is such a fun little city - you'll love it and feel much safer than you would in D.C. Arlington Cemetery is very interesting also. Do visit Mt. Vernon and if you have a car, drive to Annapolis - about 45 minutes from D.C. - it is one of my favorites - so charming, right on the water, great walking tours, antique shops, history, beauty and lots of fun.
Cathleen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here