Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tour Packages: Ireland

Posted by barborn (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 15, 02 at 0:23

We are beginning to investigate taking a trip to Ireland in the Fall. Our discussions have been based around planning all aspects ourselves or purchasing a fly-drive package from a tour operator.

Does anyone have any recommendations? Any specific tour operators that you know are good? Any to stay away from?

Thanks for your input!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tour Packages: Ireland

I have been on several Tauck tours and believe them to be the best. They may sound expensive, but when you REALLY plan, I think you'd see that they're worth it. We would never use another company. However, on the subject of Ireland I can only relay what the Tauck tour director on my most recent trip told me when I asked him - he said Tauck does a wonderful tour (ue used to run that one), BUT, you could really do it yourself at a better price. He said Ireland is easy to get around and find lodging, etc. My DH and I have decided that when we do Ireland, we're going to get the Tauck book and try to duplicate their tour on our own!

o

Thanks for the tip, Woodie2. I found the Tauck website and you are right, they are expensive. I am convinced we can do better ourselves, particularly if we go after October 16 when the prices drop.

Has anyone heard of Quinlan Tours? They seem to offer a very reasonable package for air/car/b&b lodging.

o

My DH and I went on a CIE independent B&B tour of Ireland and Scotland a few years ago. It was lots of fun and very reasonable. We spent a little more to upgrade to a larger car as the little Ford mini car was just that too mini!

We found the people to be friendly and the B&B's to be first rate!

o

If you haven't finalized your plans yet, check out Sceptre Tours. They have an incredible deal right now, a self drive tour with air, car and 6 nights at B&Bs for an incredibly low amount. I think it is about $399 a person. I have been checking out Ireland for a trip in 2003. It sure seems like it is just as easy to rent a car, set your own schedule and see the parts of the country that appeal to you the most. If not, this same company has an excellent reputation for tours.

o

barborn

If I were you I would just get myself to ireland my own way
and hire a car when I get there . The have most major car rental firms . Also many lovely "guest houses " Guest house in english terms means someone with a large house who rents rooms out in them (friendly and cheap) , there are many hotels as well . Also just for your info there are now 2
internal uk flight operators who run planes at incredibaly cheap prices they are "go" and "easyjet" , easy jet have just bought "go" so go's site might be outof date , You can fly from belfast(ireland) to edinburgh(scotland) for 17 uk pounds RETURN thats about 25 dollars(for example). their site is www.easyjet.com .

curt

ps are you going to northern ireland or southern ireland or both.coz they have different currencies , southern is the euro(might be still irish punt) , northern ireland is uk pounds. I live in the UK so of theres anything it may be easier for me to find out just email me

o

It was about 10 years ago when I travelled. Early June was off season. There are many B & B places in all tourist type areas. As suggested by others get a brochure and see where they are taking you and then plan your own. I am of Irish family. The only bewildering thing I remember is coming to the end of a road and there being 30 directional signs and half of them in Gailic and deciding very quickly which way we must go. English is the spoken language except in some outer west areas. And in those areas all young will at least speak English. I remember the town of Ardara as the place to buy the handknit sweaters. (they say half the price of Dublin). It is a town in the lower part of Donegal I think I remember.
Marie

o

If you have not gone yet, try Globus tours. Husband likes them the best.
Marie

o

A few years ago my husband and I went on an 11-day Quinlan tour of Ireland. There were only about 16 of us on the tour in early October. Very comfortable weather and nice accommodations, stayed at the Shelburne in Dublin, and in castles and beautiful inns along the way. I can recommend Quinlan.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here