Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
3 weeks in Greece

Posted by dwj283 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 11, 05 at 22:53

My wife and I are planning 3-4 weeks in Greece from mid Sept, 2006, so we have lots of time to plan. We love to walk and hike, and would like to see as much as possible without maintaining a breaknesck pace to see it all. Any thoughts on which Islands offer uniquely different experiences, and how the time might best be divvied up? Should hotels be booked well in advance or as the trip unfolds, and what about booking ferries between the Islands, and renting cars. We have been advised to save a few days for sightseeing in Turkey....any thoughts or recommendations on other locales we might not typically include???
Thanks,
Dwj

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 3 weeks in Greece

A friend of mine took a sea kayak tour. They stayed overnight in inns, stopped for hikes and sightseeing. She highly recommended it. If you're interested, I'll find out the touring company.

o

My cousin, who lives in Germany says Turkey is absolutely her most favourite place to visit! So by all means...don't miss it! Oh. And save a few $$ and check out their gold jewellry! ;-D

o

september is the best time of year to visit greece. the sea water is warm and the crowds have all gone home since school is about to begin. there is little need to reserve accomodations ahead of time. in fact, it's the perfect opportunity for you to practice your negotiating skills and haggle for a reduced price of a room off the published rates. my favorite places in greece would include the ionian islands and crete. the sand is white and the water icey blue. hopefully the keepers have had time to clean up the mess from the crazy summer filled with crowds. this is one of my big complaints about greece: they don't bother cleaning up after the crowds come in and trash up the place. my second complaint would be their social skills... they don't have any. they are rude and will jump at the opportunity to rip you off. and before someone jumps in and accuses me of being rude let me say, I AM GREEK. my family is greek. i have spent many summers in greece and presently have a love/hate relationship with the place and its people. that said, it is a very safe place to vacation. i unfortuately cannot say the same for turkey. if you are considering a side trip i would strongly urge you to check with the state department for any alerts regarding middle eastern destinations. okay, to continue... if you do decide to sidetrack to turkey you may consider departing from rhodes which is a very interesting island. i would also recommend lesvos, which is considerable different from the other island in its overall look and feel... it's heavily wooded and the majority of structures are made of wood beamed construction. it's odd to see, considering the rest of the country is limestone. you probably won't find any means of transportation to turkey from lesvos. their people (MY people, actually) are not fond of the turks since they have not forgotten how the mother land was raped and pillaged by the turks. and depending on which island you choose to visit, it's probably not a good idea to mention to anyone except a travel agent how you'd like to visit turkey... just a caution! you may notice i haven't mentioned santorini or mykonos... i wouldn't push those simply because i think while they are beautiful they are big tourist traps. sadly this is the story of most of greece. there was a time not too long ago where you could find a quiet beach and call it your own. it would appear "virgin." there is no such place now, as all of the beaches have been invaded by guys who rent lounge chairs and sell souvlaki. sorry again... i digress...but i said i have a love/hate relationship with the place... i guess it's more of a hate relationship. it's just that it is beyond me how a single country could be blessed with so much natural beauty and then simply lead it to ruin by their own carelessness and greed. i suppose this is the plight of many places. sorry if i've brought you down. i wish you a very happy and safe trip and while i obviously have my own issues with it, it is still quite a lovely place.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here