Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge / Sevierville

Posted by anotherafwife (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 21:48

Hi all,

We're heading to the Great Smokies for Labor Day weekend and are looking for ideas for a family -- grandparents, parents, and two kids (16 boy and 10 girl). We already have a cabin reserved near Sevierville, and are looking for less commercial, unique, off-the-beaten-path activities.

So far, we've found Cades Cove that we like, and perhaps Ripley's Aquarium.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gatlinburg / Pigeon Forge / Sevierville

Take a ride through Cosby.Not a tourist trap and just a quite laid back area.

o

There are several places to horseback ride. Not that it's off the beaten path, but there is an aquarium that is very nice in Gatlinburg, and if you take the tram or drive to the top of the mountain in Gatlinburg there is an ice skating rink. There is a restaurant in Gatlinburg near the end farthest from Pigeon Forge called Calhoun's that you should really check out. Try their beer cheese dip with the pretzels for an appetizer. It's reasonable in price. Their ribs are good and they have their own microbrewery.

o

Thanks for the ideas! Are there any specific spots in Cosby that you'd recommend?

As fate would have it, DD is a figure skater. I hadn't even thought of bringing the skate bag just for an extended weekend trip, but we might just for the novelty of it. It would be nice for her to show her grandparents some of her latest jumps & spins. Great idea!

The restaurant sounds tasty -- I'll have to mark that down. DH loves microbreweries so that should be a hit as well.

o

I'm not sure if you've ever been to Gatlinburg before, but if you haven't then you should probably expect to spend a day there. There are a lot of local shops plus that's where the aquarium is and you could ride the tram to go figure skating as well. You might even need more time depending on how much your kids and husband tolerate looking in the shops. I've gone to the area almost every year since I was a little girl. When I was younger, I wanted to stay in Pigeon Forge and ride go-carts and go to the arcades (that's where most of these type activities are), but my parents always wanted to spend time in Gatlinburg. Now as an adult, my husband and I like to spend most of our time in Gatlinburg, and maybe go to Pigeon Forge/Sevierville for a day. There are numerous things to do in both. You can take a scenic helicopter tour if you want (never done this myself). We like to take some time to drive through the Smokies on 441. You can drive up to Clingman's Dome and then hike the last little bit (maybe a mile-I can't remember) to the highest point in TN. It's a great view on a nice clear day. Also along 441, there are a lot of great pull outs to park and take some pics. Of course, as a child I used to hate these long car rides with my parents.

For breakfast or lunch one day, you might want to try the Applebarn/Applewood? in Pigeon Forge/Sevierville. I think it is actually Sevierville, but the two really kind of run together. It has some little round donut type things that come with apple butter that are excellent. They come with most of the meals I think, but we always order an extra bag to take with us for the next day.

In Pigeon Forge, there is the Dixie Stampede which is a show and dinner I think, but I've never been, so that's pretty much all I know about it. And then of course there's Dollywood.

I don't know much about Cosby other than I've drove through it. I think it has some small shops and maybe a couple of places to sight see but I'm really not sure.

If your family likes to hike, then there are a lot of trails to check out. It's good for some piece and quiet from all of the shops.

o

Cosby is the unspoiled area.Where you get away from the crowds.There are a few privatley owned motels there.Nothing fancy and a few cabins.Great place to see the bears.If you prefere tourist areas Cosby is not for you.But if you like getting away to a quite area its a good choice.

It was known as the Moonshine capitol of the world.At one time.Its where many of the people who work at places like Dollywood live and many retire from all over.Its not a tourist area.However there are some interesting sight seeing spots that tourists never see.That what makes it great.

When you go to PidgeonForge you might like to go to a music show.My favorite is Ellwood Smoothes Smokey Mountain Hoe Down.There is also a nice interesting pocket knife shop at the edge of town.Sort of a minuture Bass pro shop.Lots of interesting things to see on display there.

Wile in Gatlinburg at the ice rink.There is a band that plays.A few older guys that are very intersting charachters to talk to.Buy a snack and set a listen and watch the skaters.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here