Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Yellowstone suggestions?

Posted by jxbrown (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 28, 07 at 14:15

I'd like to go next year at the very beginning of June or early September after school starts. I haven't been there since I was a kid, but my grandparents lived in Laramie and I am well aware of the weather issues. DH isn't a cold weather guy and he doesn't like to "rough it", so I need someplace nice to stay. Any and all suggestions would be welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Yellowstone suggestions?

I went last summer last of July.I was also there as a kid.Back before the fire and there were lots of black bears.But not these days never seen one bear.Its now a destroyed from the fire trying to come back to life park in my opionion.Hard to believe after all these years its still shows sighns of burnt trees.Glad I have the memories from a kid in 1968.

o
RE: Yellowstone suggestions?

I was just there last week with my husband and had a fantastic time. Flew into Jackson Hole and spent the afternoon in the Grand Tetons National Park. We took the little ferry across Jenny Lake and then climbed the trail to Inspiration Point - it was beautiful and we got to see a juvenile grizzly eating berries along the trail! From there it is only an hour or so up to Yellowstone. We stayed at the Old Faithful Inn - kinda pricey but the location can't be beat. You can sit on the second floor porch and watch Old Faithful erupt every 90 minutes. We also got up early one morning and walked the geyser basin loop around 6:30 am and it was fantastic to be there before the tour buses and crowds arrived. Grand Prismatic Spring, just a little north from Old Faithful is amazing. Another real high point was swimming in the Firehole River where the water isn't exactly hot, but it's warm enough for swimming due to all the thermal activity. Another big highlight is going over to Hayden Valley on the east side of the park in the early evening and seeing the herds of bison (buffalo). As JD says, the park still has a lot of dead trees standing from the fire of 1988, but fire is necessary and part of the natural cycle of life there. Some areas are not burned at all, and where it was burned, you can see how all the new young trees have started to grow. We saw plenty of wildlife including bison, bear, moose, elk and coyote.
In terms of where to stay, there are a number of different accommodations at Old Faithful and at other places in the park including some cabins and they all seemed nice (if you go for a cabin, though, you might want to ask whether it has been recently renovated as I understand that some of them are a little run down). If you don't stay at the Old Faithful Inn, you should at least go in and look around - the architecture is amazing. The best way to get reservations is to call Xanterra, the company that handles all the nat'l park reservations, at 307-344-7311. You can also visit the Xanterra website and check prices etc, but sometimes the website will tell you there's nothing available, but you can still get availability on the phone. BTW, the park service has a great Yellowstone site with webcams and videos (linked below). Good luck and have fun.

Here is a link that might be useful: NPS Yellowstone link

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here