Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outer Banks?

Posted by MarkBinPA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 02 at 11:54

I have spent the past five years on family vacations to Myrtle Beach. Next year, my wife and I decided to take our 4 year old and 13 year old to the Outer Banks for a more relaxing and quiet vacation.

Since I have never been, you help would be appreciated. What part of the Outer Banks would suit families more, Kitty Haw, Duck, Hatteras, etc...?

What is there to do for fam,iles?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, anyone need any questions answered about Myrtle Beach, I woudl be glad to help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outer Banks?

On the outer banks, you can either fish, shop, eat or sun on the beach. That's about it.

Kind of a low key Myrtle beach when you get right down to it.

Less traffic, less people, little less to do. Of course, it is nice to drive around and not see a tee shirt store on every dang corner.

Did I mention fishing?

o

"It's all good." Really, it is. Duck is a bit more expensive in terms of rent, and the beach is more crowded, IMO. The small settlements on Hatteras itself (Avon, Frisco, Salvo, etc.) are very quiet and there are fewer restaraunts than up in Kitty Hawk, Nags Head and Duck, but the beaches are so fabulous down on Hatteras (nearly vacant as well). Nags Head and Kitty Hawk have lots of attractions to the point it almost resembles Myrtle Beach (well, there's not the bar scene you see in Myrtle) anymore. Miniture golf, movie theaters, beach souvenier shops and all that stuff.

Windsurfing, kitesurfing, kite flying, fishing, surfing, paragliding, kayaking, beachcombing, or just chillin'. No jet skis allowed on the National Recreational Area but they are up in Nags Head and north.

o

If you want to go where there are things for kids to do..miniature golf,amusement rides,movies,etc. then Kitty Hawk,Nags Head,South Nags Head,and Kill Devil Hills are your best bet. There are things there for eveyone to do. We always went in Sept. to stay away from the crowds,but last year went in August,and still only shared the beach with a few people. You will love it,no matter where you go.

o

Thank you to all of you. I appreciate the input and your thoughts.

o

I just returned from a family vacation in Kitty Hawk. Had a 12 year old and an 18 year old. Also took along the family pet -- who loved the beach (was allowed with leash). There are many amusements available, cost is on par with other vacation spots. Jockey's ridge is interesting, a "living" sand dune, didn't get to try it, but there is a hanggliding school, which is also fun to watch, kite flying and as stated before "LOTS of fishing". I have to admit it was more fun for the 12 year old than the 18 year old (mostly due toa problem with her best friend -- constantly on the cell phone, growing apart and other "teen" angst!)

o

I just returned from a week stay in OBX - we shared a large house with my husband's family in a section called Pine Island, which is between Duck and Corolla. Absolutely lovely and recommend it to everyone! The homes in this stretch seemed newer, larger and most have private (as ours did) and direct access to the beach. Our home also had a pool, which was nice for the 4 younger boys in our party, especially when the ocean was too rough for swimming.

If you enjoy shopping, check out Scarbourough Faire and The Farmer's Daughter in Duck and the Cotton Gin in Corolla. There is a larger Cotton Gin store on the way out of the Outer Banks, too.

Take a tour of the lighthouse or go 4-wheel driving on the beach in Corolla. There are also numerous places to parasail and rent waverunners.

Have fun!

o

My wifes uncle has a place just below Buxton that we visit now and then.

Rather unique old "shack".

The main beam that runs down the middle of the house, is actually from the keel of an old wooden ship.

In 1953 when uncle bought the place for the regal price of $1,500.00, he borrowed an additional $2,000.00 so he could fix it up a bit.

Part of the fix up included moving the house back from the road some 50 feet. He did this by using some old bottle jacks to raise, then lower the house onto some old used telephone poles. He then used a borrowed block and tackle, and an old, old jeep, to move the house all by himself.

I've heard all the stories relating to events in the area. Suprisingly his wife supports these "fish tales"....lol

o

What are the price ranges for renting a beach house? What would it be like there in May...as far as crowds etc? And do most of the rentals allow you to bring your pet..(small yorkie)?
Thanks
Vera

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here