Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Trip to the Canadian Maritime Provinces in Sept.

Posted by momj47 (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 04 at 21:28

My daughter (25) and I are taking the ferry from Portland to Yarmouth, NS then driving slowly up to PEI for 5 days, beginning Sept. 5.

After she flies back to Baltimore, I'll have another week to roam and was thinking of going up to Newfoundland - possibly L'Anse aux Meadows (I'm Scandinavian) before heading back to Yarmouth to catch the ferry back to Portland and back to reality.

I'd appreciate any advice and information on places to visit and places to stay or not stay and anything else you might like to share.

TIA
Barb

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Trip to the Canadian Maritime Provinces in Sept.

We did Nova Scotia & Newfoundland last yr, taking the ferry between. Thoroughly enjoyed L'Anse aux Meadows - think it's well worth the trip. Ate at a wonderful restaurant in Corner Brook both going up and coming back.
Gros Morne park is wonderful, too. If you would like more details, I can give them to you. We stayed at some good B &B's - I will have to look in records. Can't remember everything off the top of my head.

o

Barb-Canada has a really impressive and active tourism council. If you go to Google, type in "tourism Prince Edward Island" (or Newfoundland).They'll send you a nice large packet of info. that will arrive in plenty of time for your fall vacation. This will be the first summer in years that we won't be in PEI-headed to Cape Breton, instead. You will be in heaven, I promise!
P.S. While you're at it sign up on the PEI tourism website for their annual drawing for a free vacation there.

o

I'm from Newfoundland and I've been to L'Anse aux Meadows several times. I'll give you some links at the end that should be helpful. L'Anse aux Meadows is a wonderful place to visit, it's a long drive from the ferry though, about 7 hours if you don't stop!

You'll have to drive through Gros Morne National Park to get there, if you have some time you might want to check out the areas there, like the Western Brook fijords, Western Brook beach with its sand dunes (not that common in Nfld), Bonne Bay, the Tablelands near Trout River, etc.

If you're going to L'Anse aux Meadows you might want to stay in St. Anthony, it's the closest larger town with hotels, restaurants, banks, hospital, etc.

Near L'Anse aux Meadows there is Norsted, a reconstructed Viking village. It's really interesting and worth a visit as well.

If you have any specific questions you can e-mail me at karen@warp.nfld.net and ask, I'll be more than happy to help you.

Here are the links I promised:

Newfoundland Tourism:
http://www.gov.nf.ca/tourism/

L'Anse aux Meadows:
http://www.pc.gc.ca/lhn-nhs/nl/meadows/index_e.asp

Norstead:
http://www.vikingtrail.org/norstead.htm

And on my website I have a lot of pictures I took of the area last year, pictures from L'Anse aux Meadows, Norstead, Gros Morne National Park and areas:
http://bitstop.ca/northern_peninsula.htm

o
Update: Trip to the Canadian Maritime Provinces in Sept.

Back from my trip. It was too short. I have to save Newfoundland for another trip, it's needs more time than I had.

The trip over from Portland to Yarmouth, NS on the ferry Scotia Prince - save your money and drive, it's not worth it. The drive along the coast of Maine and into Canada is worth doing, very scenic and not difficult at all.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here