Return to the Family Vacation Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
on-line airline booking

Posted by toad_CA (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 24, 05 at 18:15

Hi everyone. I'm trying to do all the planning for a multi-city trip in September and the airline sites are driving me crazy! There are flights listed on something like Travelosity that don't seem to be listed on Alaska Air, etc. I don't want to go through an "agent" like Travelosity, but I don't mind picking their electronic brains if it would help sort out my options. Are there any sites that deal with lots of airlines that you folks use? I'm dealing with Los Angeles to Anchorage and then Fairbanks to Seattle to Los Angeles.

Thank you for any and all suggestions!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: on-line airline booking

I guess I don't understand why you have a problem with Travelocity. I like it. Are people having difficulties with it or is it a questions of principles?

o

Actually, I know very little about these sites. And later in the day, I gave Expedia a try and found what looks like a pretty good deal. So here are my new questions:
1. How much do these folks charge? (couldn't really find that out easily on the site.
2. How do I get seat assignments when their equipment apparently doesn't cover the airlines I'd be using? Can I call the airlines AFTER going through Expedia?
3. Are there any risks with using a secondary site to book a flight?

Thanks for your help!

o

I've been booking online for years - that the only way I do it anymore. I use cheaptickets.com.

None of them charge you anything, just like a travel agent would not.

There aren't any risks as far as I'm concerned. Just use one of the major travel sites like Travelocity, Expedia, etc.

Any way you book a flight is going to go through an online computer system, whether it's through a ticket desk at the airport, by phone to the airline, with an agent, or through an online service. In all of the cases, I would call the airline directly to confirm your reservation a day or so later. You can find out about seat assigning at that time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Family Vacation Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here